thread lock a must on stators !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thread lock a must on stators !!!!!!

got the bike home and removed the stator cover today. the piece that holds the wires down so the basket doesnt rub them was off and thrashing aroun in the cover. also 2 of the wires were cut in half. if i would have only put thread lock on the screw i prolly wouldnt have had any problem. tried to splice wires back together without sucess bike is still not charging. looks like ill be buyin another electrosport. guess it could have been worse !!! once i get the bike chargin im gonna ride the wheels off of her this year. last year i didnt even but the tags, played too much golf. she still looks and runs great. its been 5 years since i did the the bandit gsxr conversion and i wouldnt have any other bike !!!
    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM.

Originally posted by xDUKEx View Post
    got the bike home and removed the stator cover today. the piece that holds the wires down so the basket doesnt rub them was off and thrashing aroun in the cover. also 2 of the wires were cut in half. if i would have only put thread lock on the screw i prolly wouldnt have had any problem. tried to splice wires back together without sucess bike is still not charging. looks like ill be buyin another electrosport. guess it could have been worse !!!
    I did something similar. I didn't pay attention to wire routing when I pulled the old stator off, and I routed the wires out the top of the stator, instead of the bottom. I only bumped the engine over maybe 1-2 revolutions with the starter, but it was enough to chew through the wires. I desoldered the wires from the copper stator coils, and soldered on new leads. So far it's passed an OHM meter test for continuity, but I haven't had the bike running in a while, but I'm sure it's all ok-dokey. Post a pic of the damage to your stator, it very well may be salvageable. 10-15 bucks for new wire is a lot cheaper than 100 for a whole new unit.

Comment

Originally posted by xDUKEx View Post
      Nice lookin' bike, bet it's plenty loud...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

i just took off the exhaust for pics but yes if you run the header uncapped it is plenty loud

Comment

Working...
        X