Where are the drain plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the drain plugs?

Have a GS650 four. I see the oil pan drain plug. Where is the trans drain plug? Where is the oil filter?

Do I remove both bottom and side plugs from gear box to drain and then change? I assume you add new gear oil from bottom, until it come out side opening near top of gear box, then put plug back in top first, then bottom second.

Stephen

Please put down the tools and come out of the garage with your hands up!!!! 8O 8O . No but seriously folks, you need to go get a manual from Clymer or Haynes and read it. to answer your gearbox query, the gearbox and engine bottom-end share a common case and also share lubricant. Your engine oil IS your gearbox oil. Usualy the oil filter is located under a housing at the front of the engine between and behind the exhaust pipes. and I seriously recomend getting the manual. until then, happy wrenching. If I could only get some1 to answer my posts .

Comment

Stephen,
      The 650 engine and gearbox (like most bikes and all GS's) shares a common oil supply but it has two drain plugs. At least the shaft drivers do. The shaft driven bikes also have a totally separate supply of gear oil (NOT engine oil, EP90 tranmission oil) for their final drive units at the rear wheel. Drain and filler plugs are obvious.

Back to the engine oil, you found the main drain plug in the normal place, centre of the sump cover. The second one is under the left side, just above the lower frame rail and forward of the gear lever. It's the same size as the other one. The oil filter lives under the circular cover at the lower front of the engine. The cover is held in place by 3 small dome nuts.

You need a manual if you're thinking of doing this yourself. The procedure is straightforward once you've been thru it, but the manual will explain and illustrate it all for you and most importantly, it will give you things like torque settings for putting it all back together again (you do NOT want to overtighten and strip sump plug threads or filter cover studs!).

Comment

Rich1135 is correct. I have changed the oil in my '82 GS650L twice since I bought it in September. The oil plub that you found is easy. The second, on mine, is located just under the kick stand. The two bolts on mine are different sizes. The second one is larger.

The drive oil is changed by removing both bolts on the shaft at the rear tire. Do this when the bike is cold, the exhaust pipe is in front of the filler bolt. The Clymer Manual states to drain this while on the center stand, replace the drain bolt (bottom) refill through the upper bolt hole. Refilling was not as easy as it sounded, the pipe is in the way. I used a straw(clean, no coke) on the end of the oil bottle, it has a tapered end and the straw fit over pretty easily. Fill until some oil comes out of the hole. Replace the bolt, ride the bike for approx. 20 minutes, come back put on center stand, remove upper bolt and add more drive oil until barely flowing over and replace the bolt.

Done.

I do suggest getting a manual, my life has been made much easier since then.

Comment

Working...
        X