Valve adjustment interval, '79 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment interval, '79 GS850G

This question surely has been covered dozens of times, but I got a headache looking through all the posts and didn't find anything . . . so here it is.

My 79 GS850GN is coming up on 52K miles and runs perfectly. I want to keep it that way.

I had the valves done 11K ago and I'm getting concerned that it is about time to do them again, along with synching the carbs.

For a well broken-in engine like mine, just what is a recommended valve adjustment interval?

Thanks,

Mike

the book sugests 4K miles? or 12 months I would check them at least every 10K mi

Comment

I would check the valves too, but if it runs "perfectly' why would you want to balance the carbs

Comment

I take my GK to my independent mechanic once a year, around Thanksgiving, for him to adjust valves and sync the carbs. The first checkup he did back in late 99 he replaced 5 of the 8 shims. This past November he replaced one. I ride anywhere from 12 to 15 thousand miles per year.

After a while, things settle down in the engine and pretty much take care of themselves.

As far as carbs are concerned, the bike always runs noticeably smoother after I pick it up from the shop. When I take it to him, it runs perfectly, because that's what I've been used to over the months, and the decline in performance is so gradual. So, synchronizing carbs once a year is a good thing to do.

To me at least, in my situation, doing these jobs more often would be a waste of money.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X