valve adj affecting carb setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve adj affecting carb setting

i guess ill start at the start..... rebuilt the carbs over the winter.... just put them back on ..... bike idles ok ... but has a lean surge at cruse..... also the rpm kinda hangs when i blip the throttle .... so the bike is deff lean ... the pllugs dont look alarmingly lean.... so im thinking this ....

i havent adjusted the valves yet..... and the bike has always been hard to start when even slightly cold..... now thinking on carb thery and more inportiantly single intake/cyl carbs and how inportant the vacuum sig is to how the carb works......

now if the valves are not adjusted and the intake is leaking ...... wouldnt that reduce the vac sig at the carb (intake reversion) and in theroy make the bike feel like its running lean (not enough vac sig to compleatly fill cyl)

just want to be shure before i take them back off and change the float setting .......

I would do a valve adjustment before you do anything else, you will be amazed at what a difference it will make. Also if you didn't replace manifold carb. o-rings, you should do so, they can leak air when old. terrylee

Comment

yup, you want to adjust the valves first, sync the carbs, then change carb settings if needed
      GS850GT

Comment

ok .... so then my thinking is sound ....... as far as the intake o rings ... mine is a 80..... its got cv carbs..... boots yes but o rings no......

now to wait for a day that dont look like rain..... (not having a garage is a bitch)

Comment

just to be clear ..... the cyls are numbered from left to right corect.....
          or am i thinking bassackwards .....

Comment

Yes, left to right...1 to 4. And yes, adjust the valves or they will burn. Hope you caught it in time.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

definitely change the boots orings if they dont look good or you may be chasing your tail trying to adjust the carbs
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                definitely change the boots orings if they dont look good or you may be chasing your tail trying to adjust the carbs
                That model does not use o-rings on the intake boots. It is just a rubber hose that uses clamps on the head and the carb.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  That model does not use o-rings on the intake boots. It is just a rubber hose that uses clamps on the head and the carb.

why cant i remember this? , i keep misleading people
                  GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                    why cant i remember this? , i keep misleading people
                    That's OK, it took me a while, too.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X