brakes are they necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brakes are they necessary?

I was pushing my bike (77 GS750) and I heard this grinding noise of metal against metal.

Guess what... The back brake is locked up. One of the brake pads is down to the metal, the other one is still allright.

Both brake capilers (?) are stuck, rusty and have a lot of *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ on it and I can't get it out.

Should I buy a whole new bake brake system, just ride without a back brake or can anybody help me get those capilers (the steel cilinders) out of there, so I can clean/ polish them.

Hope you can give some good advice

Even tho you do not use the rear brake that much YOU still need to have a functional brake If it is real rusty the cylinders may be rust pitted I would look for a replacement. What year/size is the bike?

Comment

Sorry, my bike is a 77 GS750

Comment

I would think a rear caliper from a GS550/650/750/850/1000 77-80 should work

Comment

I can't get it out, so I cannot put another one in at the moment

Comment

Try spraying w-d40 on the calipers let it soak in and lightly whack it with a hammer to loosen the pistons.

Comment

I did the spraying thing and the hammer thing, but it didn't help. Probably not the best thing to do either.

Luckily I've been to the motorshop so mny times now they know me and they were happy to help with the high pressure equipment. Even with the right equipment it took them more than half an hour. The other people waiting weren't happy but I was.

cleaned everything out (grinded the inside and outside to get rid of all rust) put it back together. Hopefully it works now. Just have to clean the main front and back braking capilers and then I'm off.

Anybody know how spongy the brakes may be? My are/were very spongy, I bled them, but they didn't have any air in them. I could keep pulling the front brake lever untill they nearly touched the handlebar.

Comment

Originally posted by robpanis
                I did the spraying thing and the hammer thing, but it didn't help. Probably not the best thing to do either.

Luckily I've been to the motorshop so mny times now they know me and they were happy to help with the high pressure equipment. Even with the right equipment it took them more than half an hour. The other people waiting weren't happy but I was.

cleaned everything out (grinded the inside and outside to get rid of all rust) put it back together. Hopefully it works now. Just have to clean the main front and back braking capilers and then I'm off.

Anybody know how spongy the brakes may be? My are/were very spongy, I bled them, but they didn't have any air in them. I could keep pulling the front brake lever untill they nearly touched the handlebar.
                Mine did that too, you probably still have the original brakelines on there wich can expand quite a bit as they get older.

Where in Holland do you live by the way

Comment

Actually I have stainless steel lines to the front. Still the old rubbery ones to the back.

I solved the problem. The guy from the shop got them out and i cleaned them put them back together and after two times doing this they actually worked. Jippy.

Got new all brake pads front and back took apart the main capilers front and back cleaned them put them togehter filled the baby up, got the air out. put the front brake light on the wrong way (also solved now) and it's running much quicker now (no back brake pad constant running against the disk) and braking much better too (easier and harder). Still not like the new bikes, but satisfactory. I still think there's some air in the front brakes somewhere, but it's not coming out.

Den Haag and you?

Comment

Working...
                  X