gs1000e will not rev past 7000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000e will not rev past 7000 rpm

ihi guys i,m having a problem,,when i really want to open it up and let it run ,,i,m finding my gs1000e is struggling a littlethe carbs were pulled down and well cleaned i dropped a couple of the bowls off and the both had very close to the same amount of fuel and there is no gunk in the bottom at all running a standard airbox at the moment with a new air filter,, i,ve also got new Orings in the boots and no leaks showing up when i,ve sprayed the boots any suggestions please regards david

Do you mean it won't rev past 7k rpm with no load?

Comment

What size jets are you running?

VM or BS carbs?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

will not rev past 7000rpm ...

carbys have been cleaned ,, will not rev past 7000rpm without load? in neutral in top has not got the punch,, it should have,,pilots are st 40 and main are 108... all are clean.. hope this helps regards david

Comment

Did you adjust the needle valves "down" when you "did your carbs"?

Comment

needle height ... cv carbys ...

when i cleaned the carbys i kept the clip at the original position..i,ve forgotten what it was ..but i didn,t change it... i could pull out 1 or 4 and check where it is..i,m also running std airbox with a brand new filter 1980 gs1000e..round type..hope this helps regards david

Comment

Sounds lean...how old are the intake boots and o-rings on the cylinder head and airbox?

Comment

new O rings on inlet boots..

i put new o rings on the inlet boots,, about 3 months agos,, and when i,ve sprayed around the edges of the boots and head ,, it does not respond as to any missing or stalling,,,regards david

Comment

Can you replace ignition wires on this model?
                  If so, did someone install carbon core wire?
                  How are the plugs? Colour?

Comment

ignition leads .. check in the morning..

hi its 2am thurs.. here .. i.ll check the plugs in the morning ,,i have prev.. checked for spark on all 4 ,,but i.ll recheck tomorrow..from memory the leads are not carbon..and the plugs are..NGKB8ESOR JUST B8E i,ll check colour and which plugs although i know they are ngkb8..... something.. regards david

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
                      hi its 2am thurs.. here .. i.ll check the plugs in the morning ,,i have prev.. checked for spark on all 4 ,,but i.ll recheck tomorrow..from memory the leads are not carbon..and the plugs are..NGKB8ESOR JUST B8E i,ll check colour and which plugs although i know they are ngkb8..... something.. regards david
                      Have you tried spraying the wd40 into INTAKE when your problem occurs to see if it's a fuel starvation problem?

Comment

wd40.. rp7.

i,ll grab a can tomorrow when i go into town..and i give it a spray.. thanks for your help regards david

Comment

A cam chain that is out of adjustment will not let the bike rev properly. Have you tried taking apart/cleaning your cam tensioner?

Inspected cam chain for stretch and/or worn guides.

Comment

gs1000e will not rev above 7000rpm...

today is thursday,,, i pulled the plugs out to check ,, 1 was a lightish brown around the electrode ,,2 was very similar 3 was a little darker but not much .. 4 was blacker ,,,so what i did ,,as they are cv carbys . 4screwed in the mixture about 1/8 ,,and 1 2 3 i screwed out about 1/8........ the needles are set at the 3rd clip position from the top......the plug leads are the orgional items that came with the bike it doesn,t look like you can change them at all ..they all have a spark ... the plugs i made a mistake in telling you the wrong p/n the plugs in the bike are NGK B7ES... i tried to get the small st/st washers from radio shack p .n. 64-3022.. showing they are not in stock ,,, but a matthew r is going to look .. hope this helps regards david

Comment

Originally posted by lesliew51@hotmail.com View Post
                              i,ll grab a can tomorrow when i go into town..and i give it a spray.. thanks for your help regards david
                              Maybe if you had an empty Armour All bottle and gas...

Comment

Working...
                              X