Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable question

Hi in my haste to put some clubman bars on I (yet again) stuffed up

I removed the throttle and installed it on the new bars.

In doing this I removed the throttle cable from the throttle and now cant manage to put the cable back into the throttle.

Is there an easy way to pull the cable thru the switch block and then onto the throttle without removing it from the carbs, which I assume means pulling the carbs off to get the throttle cable off the carbs?

Also can someone post a picture of the throttle cable route please from the carbs to the bars

I have included some pictures which I hope shows what I mean

This picture shows how I routed the cable currently (it is the one in the middle)

This picture shows the cable at the end of the switch block

I might need a new cable connector as I think picture shows the end is broken

Originally posted by indyjoel View Post
    In doing this I removed the throttle cable from the throttle and now cant manage to put the cable back into the throttle.

Is there an easy way to pull the cable thru the switch block and then onto the throttle without removing it from the carbs, which I assume means pulling the carbs off to get the throttle cable off the carbs?

Also can someone post a picture of the throttle cable route please from the carbs to the bars
    I might need a new cable connector as I think picture shows the end is broken
    Well, you already have the right end disconnected so getting the carb part on should be no hassle. I can't see the adjusters on both ends but screw them all the way IN. Adjust when finished.

You will have to find a route that works if you don't remember it or look at other bikes.

Regarding the break, well...my answer is?

JB-WELD!
    work cable while it's drying.

Comment

Hi Mr. indyjoel,

You may want to buy a new cable instead of trying a cheap repair. You wouldn't want that cable to get stuck at some inopportune moment.

Your factory service manual (You did download one from my site, didn't you?) has the cable routing diagrams on page 12 of section 9 (pg. 230 of 335).

Taking the throttle cable off the carbs is pretty easy, just one jam bolt....

Loosen it up....

Then manipulate the cable so that you can take the ball end out of its holder....

Same for the choke cable....

Loosening the clamp for the choke cable...

See the whole sequence here...

Air Intake Repair:
      (Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Hmmm.....

Is this why Sir Basscliff is "Member of the Year?"

Nicely done Sir.

In opinion, I would much rather feel confident that a "New" $18.53, price quote from even Bikebandit, OEM throttle cable might not leave me on the side of the road stuck in idle, or worst with the throttle "Wide Flippin Open," but that's me.

I would suggest a New Cable.

Eric

Comment

Joe, get a NEW CABLE.

Thanks Cliff for another great article.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Yeh, yeh I know. I just dont want to take those damn nasty bloody carbs off again.

I am now crying uncontrollably whilst I type this as I just had them on and working perfectly.

Comment

Its the clubman bars you know. You might want to get extra insurance as well to see a chiropractor for the back pain

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                Its the clubman bars you know. You might want to get extra insurance as well to see a chiropractor for the back pain
                I know, I should have left well alone and concentrated on something else first.

I can't help it, I saw the look of them and thought hmm they would look alright (in my best aussie accent)

They cant be worse than the ducati ones I just sold.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2010, 10:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Comment

Working...
                X