Tire ratings, V versus H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire ratings, V versus H

Besides the speed rating what is the difference between V and H rated tires?
    I was thinking that the V may have a softer compound to give it better grip but this would also cause it to wear faster.
    So if that's accurate and as I'm not likely to sustain speeds of 149 mph (or even reach them for that matter) an H rated tire would be the way go right?

May be wrong Pete but, I have always used H rated tires.

Comment

I think V's tend to have softer rubber, but don't think it's an absolute.

Comment

I also beleive that the V's are softer, hence the higher speed rating.

Comment

the v and h rating is speed rating you can get soft compound in either the rating has nothing to do with compound' things like age do affect tyres as well it tends to make them harder
          ozman

Comment

V rated tires are less likely to grow from centrifugal force at high speeds. They come in many compounds. They will not come apart at high speeds run all day long if you want to ride that way. Just yesterday I had an incident where a guy in a pickup turned left in front of me. I had very little room to react. I'm not sure I could have avoided hitting the side of his truck on stock wheels, with stock brakes, and my old skinny 100 width tire. The Gixxer brakes slowed me down in a hurry and the Dunlop V rated radial stuck like glue while braking and steering. It isn't always about wear. Check the traction and temperature ratings on the tires you are thinking about buying.

Comment

As Always Billy-,,

Good Advice!

Thanks for teaching me something else.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
                As Always Billy-,,

Good Advice!

Thanks for teaching me something else.
                Ditto!

Thanks Billy.

Comment