Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gs 550L update. New ignition system installed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 550L update. New ignition system installed.

The new tires were put on today and UPS showed up with the new ignition system. I picked up the bike and headed to my grandfathers house were we installed the new ignition system. The first test was successful when a bright blue spark was produced at all of the spark plugs. I reinstalled the fuel tank and put gas into it. After some coaxing with ether the engine started up. This brought on a new list of troubles. The engine won't run properly due to fouled carburators. I bought some carb cleaner and put that into the fuel tank to see what happens. The choke cable is shot and needs to be replaced. The engine won't run when the choke is open all the way, so that means it is not getting enough fuel. I hope that I don't have to rebuild the 4 carburators. Then a problem was noticed with the electrical system. With the engine running I noticed some smoke and heat coming from a few wires. It looks like the voltage regulator/rectifier is shot so it is allowing for too much voltage to pass through the wires. I think this was the cause of all the troubles that the previous owner had with it. Tomorrow I'm going to the bike shop to see if I can get a new regulator/rectifier. Wish me luck.

Re: Gs 550L update. New ignition system installed.

Originally posted by bbatc
    Tomorrow I'm going to the bike shop to see if I can get a new regulator/rectifier. Wish me luck.
    NOOO!!!!!!!! Goto http://www.electrexusa.com instead. In fact, go here first: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm and check out the stator papers.

Comment

I'd get that carb cleaner out of the tank and your carbs ASAP. I did the same with mine and the cleaner destroyed the pilot jet plugs and float valve O-rings. You'd do much better to at least take the carbs off, remove the bowls and spray out the passages with spray carb cleaner.

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Re: Gs 550L update. New ignition system installed.

You might want to re-think your assumptions. If the choke cable is shot like you say are you sure that the choke circuits are being opened on all the carbs? If the engine won't run with the choke opened that does not mean that the engine is not getting enough fuel but the opposite - it's getting too much (too rich). Is it possible that your air filter is completely clogged?

The ignition systems on GS's are sensitive to low voltage conditions so it's possible that some of the problems may disappear once the stator / RR problem is solved. I couldn't agree with Jeckler more - if you need to replace either the stator or regulator/rectifier then go with electrix. Also, be sure to check and clean your electrical connections, especially the grounds.

Jeff

Comment

As for the choke, I was able to push the choke rod that goes across the four carbs and close the choke that way. When I release that rod and the choke opens back up then the engine stalls right out. When I got the bike gas had sat in the carburators for three years. I drained the bowls before turning the engine over and when I did it smelled just like varnish. Probably something is gummed up in there. When I try to give the throttle a turn, with or without the choke, the engine stalls out immediately. The only way to get the engine to rev higher is by opening and closing the choke. The exhuast does not smell like unburned fuel at all. I'm fairly confident that the carbs should be pulled and refurbished. Also to add insult to injury, today I noticed oil running down on the left side of the transmission. I'm not sure exactly where it is coming from because I did not have time to remove the covers. I did order a new electrex R/R today and I will pick it up from the shop on Friday. The saga continues. Next Friday I will pull of the carburators and see what they look like.

Comment

Working...
          X