Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much lighter are the alloy spoked wheels from a gs1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much lighter are the alloy spoked wheels from a gs1000?

Hey guys, I tried searching but could not find a definate answer.

I want to know how much lighter are the aluminum SPOKED wheels from the gs1000 compared to the steel spoked wheels?? I currently have steel spoked but am looking to lighten the total weight of the bike as well as free up a little bit of power from my little 550.

Also, what size are the 1000 wheels? I have a 77550 but I am assuming they are the same size and width. I have an 18 in the rear and 19 up front, but not sure about the width. The last of my concerns would be the hubs. Would I be able to run my axels through the1000's hubs?

Any info would be highly appreciated!!

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
    Hi,

Check this page on my website...

Charts: Battery, Plugs, Tire, Chain,
    Sprockets, Fork Tube Diameters,
    and Parts Cross-Reference

...for a listing of, well, the title says it all.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Doesnt have weight but widths.. you should check out basscliffs website has a ton of info!

Comment

Hi. They're a lot lighter (sorry, don't know the figures). The front is a straight swap, for the rear you have to change the wheel bearings to accomodate the 550 spindle (uses standard 550 bearings).
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Actually, the rims are a lot lighter, but the wheel is not. Most of the weight of the wheel is in the hub and spokes, not the rim.

But, they look 10000% cooler

I don't think the 1000 wheels are a straight bolt on. Axle sizes are different as are hub sizes, so different bearing and axle spacers would be needed.

For the front, you could bolt on an entire GS 1000 front end.
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The Alloy ones without sprocket drive (but with bearings & cush drive fitted, no rotors or tyres are around 27lb.

I just weighed a set today & incl box & packing it's just over 30lb. I have a set for sale (weighed them for a freight quote to a member on here).

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

thank you all for your replies. This is very helpful info. Im now on the look out for a pair and if anyone has a set for sale, please let me know.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Actually, the rims are a lot lighter, but the wheel is not. Most of the weight of the wheel is in the hub and spokes, not the rim.

But, they look 10000% cooler

I don't think the 1000 wheels are a straight bolt on. Axle sizes are different as are hub sizes, so different bearing and axle spacers would be needed.

For the front, you could bolt on an entire GS 1000 front end.
              Just wanted to follow up on this and share my findings because im not so sure i fully understand what you are saying and also just for anyone interested in the weight of these wheels.

I took a strong magnet to my stock GS550 steel spoke wheels and it turns out that the hubs are already aluminum! (at least I believe the majority of it is.) There is hardly any magnetic attraction but the rim certainly has a strong pull. As a matter of fact, the magnet is far more attracted to the skinny spokes then it is to any part of my front or rear hubs.

So to connect with what you were saying, the only difference in weight i would find between GS1000 spoked wheels and my GS550 steel wheels would strictly be in the rim. And this may be a nominal difference, perhaps not worth it to upgrade my rims to aluminum.

Well, ive always believed in lightweight wheels and tires from my days as an autoxer and drag racer. I mean, even a few pounds off of a flywheel makes a difference in acceleration, response and frees up a bit of HP. Ive also always believed that the weight on the outer edge of a wheel is more vital than the weight in the center. And that reducing weight within the driveline and suspension, in general, is far more beneficial than just simply reducing weight sitting in the car or on the motorcycle in this case.

Anyhow, this is probably of low interest to the GS community but i am still on the lookout for the gs1000 aluminum rims and if i ever get my hands on a pair I will be sure to weigh both sets for comparision.

But can anyone answer me this question... Is the spoke pattern the same on my steel spokes as they are in the GS1000 spokes? So if I find a set of GS1000 aluminum rims, will they mate with my GS550 hubs and spokes?

Thanks,
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X