Mechanical advancer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical advancer question

I just converted my stock KD ignition system to a Dyna S system. When I was checking out my old ignition system I found a mechanical advancer behind the spark generator. Needless to say I did not have to order one to make my conversion. I do have a small problem with this particular advancer, though. After I installed the Dyna S, I tried to check the timing out. I had no problem setting the timing for cylinders 1 + 4, but when I went to check the timing for cylinders 2 + 3 there were no timing marks on the advancer for cylinders 2 + 3. Is this a Normal occurrance or do I need to get an advancer from an older engine that has timing marks on both sides? I currently have an '82 GS 550L.

i'm trying to remember what my advancer looked like when i did the dyna S conversion. in theory, the 2-3 marks should be 180 degrees opposite of the 1-4 marks, right?

you can take a marker and mark the opposite side and see how close it is.

from my experience, Dyna gets it pretty close. i didn't adjust the individual pickups. i put the plate on semi-tight, fired up the engine and adjusted the plate until it sounded like it was running pretty good. it was abou the 'middle' point. i am getting a timing light this weekend to dial it in, but for a month now i've driven with the 'ear' tuning.

i'd say just set 1-4 and it 'should' be timed good.

Comment

Once you get 1-4 set, there is nothing you can do about 2-3...

Hap

Comment

The Martek ignition was like that also...1&4 set 2&3

The Newtronics ignition I have allows individual adjustment of the different cylinder pairs

Comment

actually Hap, the Dyna S allows adjustments for 2-3 via two hex-head allen screws. we can undo them, and move the 2-3 pickup 10 degrees. Dyna allows this so you can set the timing for each pair of cylinders.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
          X