Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G won't start

Ok,

After 2 weeks, I've encountered my 1st real problem.

Wen't out to ride this morning, and it won't fire. Turns over OK, but no combustion. It almost fired the 1st couple of times, but that was it. I tried priming it, and it "backfired" once.

My guess is that it's flooded, but I'm not really sure where to start. The Clymers book says to start with the fuel system because it's the easiest.

I have had no problem's with it frining, hot or cold, since I bought it.

The only things I did this week were clean/oil the air filter, and charge the battery.

Any chance I knocked something loose?

Thanks for any help.

Terry

fuel, spark, air, and compression, that's what you need to run.

turn the petcock to PRIME for 3 seconds, then to the ON position to make sure the carbs aren't flooding.

pull off a spark plug wire, fit a new spark plug in and ground it to the engine, then crank and see if you're getting spark at each cylinder. if you are, pull the spark plugs and make sure the ones in there aren't fouled. if the bike has sat for some time, it might have fouled.

Comment

Make sure that your air filter isn't overly oiled. It could be restricting the airflow.

Comment

Ok Hear's the Deal

I pulled the plugs, and they were black, with a little bit of oil on them.

I put another set in, and she fired right up.

A road for a few minutes, and it started running really rough.

I got it home, pulled a plug, and it's already black as soot again.

What do you guys think? I haven't looked at all the cyliders yet, but both the outbaord plugs are in the same condition.

Terry

Comment

Terry,

As Gary said, you've probably oiled your air filter pretty heavily. (You probably impregnated your foam filter with fresh motor oil?). You've restricted the airflow through your carbs, and that's why suddenly your carbs/engine is running rich.

I would assume, you probably also have oil leaking out of your airbox drain tube after a ride (little puddle on your garage floor?). This will eventually clear itself up after a few rides, as the "heated" excess oil drains away. You may have your plugs foul on you once or twice before this happens, but it's nothing to be worried about.

Next time, to avoid this, you might just want to use the spray oil, specifically for air filters. This will put a lighter coat of oil on your air filter.

For right now, if it's really acting bad.....you can try to "wring" a little more of that oil out of your filter.
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Thanks guys,

Well, I used K&N filter oil. It's for the filter in my F150. Do they make one specific for foam fitlers.

I guess the only other question I have is can I clean and re-use the plugs? If so, what do you reccomend?

Thanks for the advice.

Terry

Comment

I guess the only other question I have is can I clean and re-use the plugs? If so, what do you reccomend?
              Stick them in a jar of vinegar overnight.........

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
                Stick them in a jar of vinegar overnight.........
                Please tell me your serious.... Right???

Terry

Comment

Serious!

I know I seldom am, but this time I really am serious, seriously!

Owner of:
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
                    Serious!

I know I seldom am, but this time I really am serious, seriously!

WOW, this is a extremely rare moment!!! Ron serious!!! Terry, he is right (another rare moment, LOL) vinegar will eat the oil/carbon right off the ceramic insulator,leaving it clean as new, the only drawback is, it will eat the galvanizing off the metal of the plug, they will work good but will be ugly.
                    this is a old two stroker trick.

Comment

Hmmmm.............now I'm starting to get confused.

If Focus is agreeing with me, then there's a good chance that maybe I'm wrong, or mistaken.

Owner of:
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                      X