Where'd my oil go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where'd my oil go

Hi again, 83 GS750, I recently changed my stator and when I did, I changed the oil as well. I have put about 100 miles on since I did this and when I checked my oil I noticed that it was down significantly. It doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere as it sat in one place for a week while I was on vacation and there were no spots on the garage floor. There is still oil in it but it doesn't show up in the window while on centerstand at all and it takes a bit of tilting to get it to show up on when on the wheels. I did have it running for a few minutes prior to checking the oil, but I allowed it to cool and checked it again with no change. I thought it might be low due to the oil getting sucked up into the block when it was running. Any ideas as to where my oil went. The only think I can think is that it is burning oil but it doesnt seem to be smoking except for cold starts when I have to choke it. Could it have burnt that much oil that quickly? Any help is much appreciated.

Did you check the neighbors' Harley?(kidding) Fill it up again and see what happens

Comment

Joe, I am not sure if I have the answer to your question but I noticed that my 1983 GS750ES doesn't always show a consistent level in the site glass, even when parked in the same spot on the center stand. On a couple of occasions this year, I have noticed that the oil was midway between min & max, topped it off to max and gone for a ride only to find it well above the max mark after the ride. I am not sure of the cause but wonder if some oil remains up in the oil cooler if the cooler bypass plunger valve is open (i.e. engine not up to normal temperature and 1 kg/sq cm pressure drop across cooler inlet and outlet). I seem to recall an oil level variation of about 3/16" (1/2 cm).

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
        Did you check the neighbors' Harley?(kidding) Fill it up again and see what happens
        Yep, fill it up. Make sure you put it on the center stand, and then go for a ride, when you get back put it back up on the centerstand and give the oil 5 minutes to drain back down before re-checking.

when you changed the oil, did you also change the filter?
        and if you did, did you top it off after starting the engine to allow it to fill the filter housing?

Comment

Yeah I changed the filter and no I didn't top it off. This makes the oil filter a likely place for my oil to have gone. I'll top it off and check it out. I'm pretty sure this is case, however, if it turns up low again I'll have to ask the neighbor about where he's getting all the oil his Harley goes through. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
          X