Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blowing smoke at startup but not valve seals

Hello All.

Ah... spring is in the air but each time I start the 1100 after it sits, I befoul it with copious amounts of oil smoke. It eventually goes away but it's a bit embarrasing and replacing black, oily fouled plugs after just a thousand miles brings evil thoughts.

I know that it's not the usual suspect, valve seals, because I've replaced them. Twice. The first time last year with the seals that came with the Verah gasket set from Z1 and just this last week with brand new Vitron seals. They are tight and good.

Compression is 125 at each cylinder and since it doesn't blow smoke all of the time, I don't think the rings are the problem.

I'm currently blaming the head gasket that came with the Verah kit. The stock gasket has some rubber at the four corner cylinder studs to seal them. The replacement did not. I'm figuring that the oil coming up the stud channels to lube the cams is leaking past that gasket and onto the pistons. To fix that, I'm planning on ordering a stock Suzuki head gasket.

Could it be something else before I buy yet more parts?

Thanks for your indulgence,

Rob

If it's not your valve stem seals then I'd figure it's your oil rings. I had this same problem and changed the seals twice also. It turned out to be the rings.
    After it's warm does it still puff smoke at hard accel?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      If it's not your valve stem seals then I'd figure it's your oil rings. I had this same problem and changed the seals twice also. It turned out to be the rings.
      After it's warm does it still puff smoke at hard accel?
      I haven't tried it under load, but it does blow smoke when it's warm, on the stand and the revs are about 6k.

Edit: I just tried it and maybe a little puff about 7k. Should I try it under load?
      Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2010, 06:28 PM.

Comment

It's my understanding if the gasket was bad where you explained you'd be leaking oil and not burning it.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

125 per cylinder is not great compression. Sounds like rings to me, if you have eliminated the valves.

Not good news I know, but top end rebuilds are good fun to do, and you end up with a lovely motor once more.

Comment

Working...
          X