magnet piece in stator cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magnet piece in stator cover

OK, so i was afraid something like this was gonna happen. Everything else being a complete hassle, including the stator cover bolts being difficult
    (I broke the impact driver and the bearings came flying out) , i got the cover off to find a piece of the magnet, really thin 3/4" square, laying in the cover with a bunch of shavings. I now have to replace the magnet right? its just one piece from the 4:00 area of the alternator magnet.
    Does anybody know what caused this? Heat maybe?

not sure which engine you have, on the pre83 1100 the nut that holds the rotor to the crank was known to loosen,(re-torque and loc-tite) make sure there is no runout of the rotor

Comment

Re: magnet piece in stator cover

Originally posted by cozine
      OK, so i was afraid something like this was gonna happen. Everything else being a complete hassle, including the stator cover bolts being difficult
      (I broke the impact driver and the bearings came flying out) , i got the cover off to find a piece of the magnet, really thin 3/4" square, laying in the cover with a bunch of shavings. I now have to replace the magnet right? its just one piece from the 4:00 area of the alternator magnet.
      Does anybody know what caused this? Heat maybe?
      Wow, sounds like you had one of "those" days...the magnet piece - just to make sure I am on the same page - came off the inside of the rotor, which is connected to the end of the crank, right? If that is the case you need to replace the entire rotor. If you try to stick it back in there, it may not stay. If you try to run without it, you may have difficulty keeping the battery charged.

As for what caused it...it would be hard to tell. I believe you would damage the stator well before you caused enough heat to damage the magnets to the point that they would come off. But stranger things have happened.

Hap

Comment

Re: magnet piece in stator cover

Originally posted by Hap Call

Wow, sounds like you had one of "those" days...the magnet piece - just to make sure I am on the same page - came off the inside of the rotor, which is connected to the end of the crank, right? If that is the case you need to replace the entire rotor. If you try to stick it back in there, it may not stay. If you try to run without it, you may have difficulty keeping the battery charged.

As for what caused it...it would be hard to tell. I believe you would damage the stator well before you caused enough heat to damage the magnets to the point that they would come off. But stranger things have happened.

Hap
        woops, looks like i was upset enough yesterday to forget some info...
        Anyway it's a 77 gs550 and you are correct sir(s), the generator rotor/magnet is on the crankshaft. The stator wasn't putting out , and i heard from the previous owner that it had been a problem for a couple of years before he sold it to me. I am doing absolutley nothing until i have a major info gathering session and can asess cost and difficlulty. There's no way i feel good about just putting the new stator in if the rotor's slowly coming apart. It's not like i can ride anyway with the weather here (phila) alternating downpour and sunshine every fifteen minutes. If anybody's done a rotor i'd sure love to hear about it...

Comment

Working...
        X