Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve problem, how to remove Half-Moon valve plugs?Quick help!(pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve problem, how to remove Half-Moon valve plugs?Quick help!(pics)

Alright, well im done installing my shims, everything is going good!

However, there are these 4 Black Half Moon plugs, and appear to be leaking!
    And I can't figuare out the proper way to remove them?
    Also what do I use to seal the new ones back into place?

(is there a special sealant? Or will regular RTV work?)

here's the pictures of what im talking about, since I can't describe it, haha.

You should be able to just pry them out with a screw driver. But it looks like the p.o. used something to hold them in there.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

WOW
      looks like yamabond...
      tough stuff when heated.
      hammer???

Comment

Hi,

Wow, what a sticky, gooey mess. Those half-moons should just pop out. But you may have to use a very thin blade to get through that stickum. Be very careful not to gouge the head.

I use a very thin application of gasket sealer on the round part of new half-moons when I replace them. But I use nothing on the flat part on top. I don't want anything sticking to my Real Gasket.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow, so these really aren't supposed to be sealed like this?

It's gotta be some kind of motorcycle sealant or something, because I've never seen anything like this before....and I've never really used cycle bonding chems before, but used tons of car/truck sealants.

I'll try to pry it off guys, thanks!
          That bonding material is VERY tough, but chipping away on the outsides, hopefully it shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

You do realize that someone has turned them inside out? There is a rubber lip on the one side, normally these are placed to the outside. Obviously, they can go both directions as yours shows.

It looks like yamabond was used, it will come off without too much hassle, try pushing in from the outside inwards toward the camshaft. I have used yamabond, it works fine. If it is sealed that well I question whether it is leaking oil from them? It more than likely is leaking from gasket above half moon.

Clean it all up and install new gasket, hopefully it won't seep like mine does.
            New half moons are cheap, don't worry if you screw them up when removing them.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to remove them?
              Obviously they are not leaking. If the valve cover leaks at that spot use a tiny dab of sealer.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I wouldn't take those out.
                What makes you think they were leaking there?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh ****, to late, I already ripped em out.
                  They were pretty rough looking once I pulled em out of there, they really didn't put up much of a fight either.

I took a little flathead and a hammer and tapped them out.

Damnit, and it's too late AGAIN....because I just installed the new Half-Moons.....BACKWARDS I guess!
                  (according to what Waterman was just saying?)
                  I installed the new ones just like the pics I had before(which i guess is backwards).....they seem extremely snug and tight, I can tell it will definitely hold tight.

Oh well.......I RTV'ed them really good, and turned the engine/cam a few times to make sure it spins freely.

It's NOT going to leak this time!

-------

Oh yeah, on a side note, the valve gasket I have DOESNT exactly line up....
                  The two Inner Front holes are off........I can "make" it work, but "as-is", it won't fit right for some reason....
                  Plus there's an extra Hole that is completely non-existent on my engine for some reason....

Anybody????

Part Number is : 11173-34211

I did a google search, and looked at a few other people selling the same thing, and apparently this IS the gasket?(it says Katana though)

Im just not sure, im taking it back tomorrow and going to ask them about it.
                  If they say it's the right one, I'll just re-try it tomorrow and make it work I guess.......it just seems really off.....
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2010, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Putting them in backwards is ok.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post

Oh yeah, on a side note, the valve gasket I have DOESNT exactly line up....
                      The two Inner Front holes are off........I can "make" it work, but "as-is", it won't fit right for some reason....
                      Plus there's an extra Hole that is completely non-existent on my engine for some reason....

Anybody????

Part Number is : 11173-34211
                      Hi,

I'm not sure what bike you have (that doesn't seem to be a valid part number). But some models changed in later years and added one or two valve cover bolts to alleviate leaks. It was sometime in 1982 when the GS850 went from 16 to 19 valve cover bolts and corresponding new gasket.

1979-1981 GS850 "Real Gasket" valve cover gasket (OEM# 11173-45002, 45003, 11173-45004, 45004-H17):

1982-1983 GS850 "Real Gasket" valve cover gasket (OEM# 11173-45010,45011,45011-H17):

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Whoops sorry guys, bike is a 1982 GS-650g

Anyways, I went to the cycle shop today, and apparently there's 3 different gaskets for my bike!!!
                        (i wish the idiot beyond the counter told me this before just handing me ****....)

There's the older valve gasket -34212, which was then replaced by the 34211(which is the one I have, and the one the computer calls for)

But the guy looked into the computer again, and found another valve gasket for my bike, but apparently it's ONLY for certain 650's with a specific serial number, which is late 81's and early 82's i believe....(according to what the guy said)

But he would have to order the gasket, and I don't feel like waiting another week, I've already been delayed a million times with Shims, and other gaskets.

So im just going to make the gasket fit!
                        There's just two little parts I have to tweak slightly, that's it.

------

Anyways, here's some pics for anyone who cares.....or if another person has problems with their 81-83 GS650

------

I know it looks like if I move it a little that it will fit, but it wont!
                        If you look near the chain/sprocket, it's damn near touching it already.

Weird, obviously this can't be right....I tried flipping the gasket around all ways possible, it doesn't line up....I can only flip it One other way anyways...because the front side has a thicker portion, thus must be the front side only.

Comment

Order the right gasket because you will need it when this one leaks like hell.

Comment

Hate to say, but it looks like you have an 81 engine, the second pic shows where the 17th valve cover bolt fits on the later 82 motors. Don't try to make it work, it will leak and you will be doing this again. Tell the dealer to give you one for the 81, it will fit.

Comment

UPDATE: Alright guys, I did a tiny bit of trimming, gasket fit fine, put some RTV in some tiny spots to make sure it's tight.....

(i know you wanted me to get the right gasket, but I took a few extra measures to make sure she don't leak....)

Fired up the bike, HOLY **** it runs AWESOME!

No jumpy RPM's, no irratic stalling issues, and IT ACTUALLY IDLES PERFECT!

Guess the shims were the problem after all.

I had a tiny bit of gas coming out of my airbox bottom hose, but Im going to check that out now.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X