Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650G Clutch Cable Broke

Ok, It's been a rough day for the Bike.

I got the plugs straightened out(I think), it was running fine, and when I thought everything was a "GO", the clutch cable broke.

I can get one for $22 from Bikebandit.com(local dealership prices seem to be the same thus far).

Is there anything else I need to consider with this cable. I can't really tell how it's connected to the lever. At this point, the cable just has strands hanging out the end.

Thanks for the advice and help.

Terry

I recently replaced my clutch cable, which was frayed half through after 35,000 miles of use. I got my cable from ronayers.com, as they are significantly cheaper than BikeBandit.com.......about $12 for the clutch cable for my 1983 GS750ES. Since the minimum shipping charge is $7 no matter what you order, I ordered 2 cables, plus sundry little parts that I needed (shift lever rubber, fairing screws, etc).

One tip when replacing the clutch cable is to lube it thoroughly before installation. Once in place the job is a little harder, and you won't have as much "free play" in exposing the inner wire for lubing. You should find a recent thread on cable lubrication if you do a search of the technical posts.

Comment

Yup, that can happen after a while. My observatiuon is that it happens sooner if cable attachment is not lubricated at the lever and if cable is not lubricated occasionally. Attachment thingy (cyclindrical thing attached to cable end that fits into lever) needs to be lubricated so it rotates in the lever rather than bending the cable strands when the lever is pulled in. You will see all this when changing the cable.
      CAn see how cable is connected to lever better after removing any rubber boot thats over it (and adjuster), and looking from underneath. Get a hold of any remaining cable strands and turn that attachment thingy untill the cable strands lines up with slot in lever, then get the attachment thingy to come out of the lever.
      If cable goes under tank (like mine does), then might be well ahead to remove tank rather than trying to just pull in new cable assembly with old one. Route so its not upagainst engine cyclinders.
      Replacing the cable also involves adjusting the cable so there is a bit of freeplay/slack in cable.
      Good that your story doesnt involve..."going down road and then......"

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks again!

Originally posted by redman
        Good that your story doesnt involve..."going down road and then......"
        Wow, you aren't kidding about that! It basicly broke right as passed by my house riding in the neighborhood. I had to cruise around in 3rd gear, but "praise The Lord", I didn't have to stop for any cars.

Thanks to each of you for the advice, and for the tip on the website. They have the cable for ~$13. Good deal....

Terry

Comment

Working...
        X