Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping out of 2.gear

Hey folks

My GS1100 -82, only with a passenger on jumps out of 2.gear when I try to accelrate a little hard. Anyone that explain why, and what to do ??

Best reg.
    KnutK

When you say "when accelarate a little hard", do you mean that you can shift to second and run like that okay for a while, but then it jumps out when you do accelerate later? If so, I have come to understand thats a bad sign but I cant really explain it.

If you mean you are accelarting hard when you shift into 2nd . . . .
    I had occasional problem of my 82 650G sometimes jumping out of 2nd right after hitting 2nd gear when accelerating hard. I figured I was just rushing it too much because the throw from 1st to 2nd is seemily longer than others and I just was't getting it "in there" all the way before letting out clutch. I have also developed a habit of holding shift lever in up position untill clutch is all the way engaged [dont necessarly know thats a good thing or not].

With passenger, you say.. I can think of two things related to that. 1) More load, but dont think so on 1100. Or 2) Might you be sitting just a little bit further foward which would require a bit more foot/ankle travel to up shift?
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yes I can put it into 2.gear and start accelrate up to approx. 6-7K rpm. before it jumps out and revs. up like in free gear.(but it seems like the gearbox are somewhere betwen 2. and 3. gear because one lift up you are in 3.gear.

KnutK

Comment

It sounds like bent selector forks, or engagement dogs in the gearbox. Not a good sign

Comment

Yea, I'd go with the dogs. Live with it or rebuild the tranny.

Comment

its a common problem for bikes that have been beat on or not shifted properly.

if you want to accelerate hard you're going to have to short-shift 2 or do a 1 - 3 shift pattern at full throttle.

~Adam

Comment

This is no problem, a little work that?s all...

The dogs on your second are worn so they are a little round on the tops. It shouldn?t require a rebuild of the tranny other than undercutting the dogs, and while you?re in there do third gear as well as 2+3 are the most used gears when "racing". 4+5 are undercutted from the beginning.
              You will need all essentiall gaskets as statorcover, clutchcover, liquid sealant for the case and shaftseals for ignitionside and output gear shaft.
              The engine must be taken out of the frame but you don?t need to touch the head at all unless you want to do more things to it while in there.
              The undercutting will have to be done by someone who?s qualified, ask at your local bike-shop if they know someone.
              This operation should be done within 2-3 days including everything if you are lucky to find a good/ quick "undercutter"

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
              X