petcock vacume check valve 82 gs850glz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock vacume check valve 82 gs850glz

in the fuel petcock, in the vacume diaphram area, there is a small disc with 4 holes in it that vacume draws thru . on the other side of this disc there is a rubber flap acting as a check valve only allowing airflow (vacume) to flow in one direction. i melted the rubber disc with carb cleaner and it is gone now. after cleaning rubber out of that area i tested the petcock fuel flow and it works as usual. i created vacume by sucking on the hose. my bike is apart so i havn't run it yet. my question: when the engine backfires or if it sends a burst of air backwards through the vacume line into the diaphram, being that that burst is now unrestricted without the rubber check valve, am i going to have problems? thanks for help

It sounds like you will have problems. with a bad diaphram the engine will suck fuel excess fuel into the #2 cylinder and you have no way for the fuel to be turned off.
    ONE of the basics of repair is to HAVE A PROPERLY WORKING FUEL VALVE it will effect other aspects of the bike and can make it dificult to get the bike to run properly

Comment

petcock diaphram

my diaphram is fine, and the petcock works fine. the problem is with the rubber check-valve that is attached to the small disc with the 4 holes in it (to the right of the diaphram itself, housed in the right cover). . without the rubber check valve, which will now allow reverse pressure(if there will be any??) to push the diaphram in the opposite direction(the direction of the spring pressure), i want to know if that opposite direction pressure(which may come from backfiring,etc..), hitting the diaphram will hurt it. a backfire(which these bikes do) will be a strong blast going directly to the diaphram(i believe) now that the rubber check-valve is missing. to best understand this dilemma, the disc & rubber check-valve(not the diaphram itself) must be understood.thanks

Comment

Re: petcock diaphram

Originally posted by fr555
        my diaphram is fine, and the petcock works fine. the problem is with the rubber check-valve that is attached to the small disc with the 4 holes in it (to the right of the diaphram itself, housed in the right cover). . without the rubber check valve, which will now allow reverse pressure(if there will be any??) to push the diaphram in the opposite direction(the direction of the spring pressure), i want to know if that opposite direction pressure(which may come from backfiring,etc..), hitting the diaphram will hurt it. a backfire(which these bikes do) will be a strong blast going directly to the diaphram(i believe) now that the rubber check-valve is missing. to best understand this dilemma, the disc & rubber check-valve(not the diaphram itself) must be understood.thanks
        I sent you a PM before I read this last post, but now I'm confused. :?

Comment

I'm not sure the part you're referencing is a check valve, but I'm sure someone on this site knows. Check out the following link. http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/petcock_rebuild.htm cursor down to find the valve that you have. I'm curious

Comment

Working...
          X