Front Seal replacement tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Seal replacement tool

Has anyone built a tool like "Mr Matchless" has in his article? I have been looking for a 19mm nut and can't find one to weld onto the rod. Every bolt & nut company I check doesn't offer this size. Is this the right size nut??? or does the nut take a 19mm socket. I couldn't find a e-mail address for "Mr. Matchless to ask him this. Does anyone have any ideal where I can get this size nut and what pitch is it?

Bob L.

The nut you want is m12 - that's the diameter of the thread. Should be really easy to get hold of as it's a common size.

Meantime, try wedging a broomhandle down the tube instead of the home made tool. Works a treat most times.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

I seem to recall that you can also take a spark plug socket, turn it around (so that the closed end is facing out), put it on a long extension, and use it to hold the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes... Sears do the right socket it's a 5/8" one & it's special in that it allows you to put it on the extension backwards (most don't let you do that). You'll need about 20" of extension bars too from memory.

To help you seat the new seal you can use a piece of PVC pipe. There is one that is just the right diameter to be a perfect seal driver.

On some bikes (GS1000G & GS1000E being the ones I have personally done this on) you can pull the circlip off the seal & pump about 160PSI in, less if they aren't 25 year old seals (I used a bicycle track pump) & it will pop the seal out without even removing the fork leg from the stanchion so you don't have to take out that bolt at all... Be careful you don't get covered in oil when it "pops" & you will need the PVC pipe seal driver to put the new one in...

Dan
        Last edited by salty_monk; 03-31-2010, 06:46 PM.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Here in the metrically retarded backwater of the US of A, a common 1/2" thread nut happens to have a hex size of 3/4 inch, which is 19.05mm.

Close enough!
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a 2-foot length of 1/2" all-thread and four nuts, assemble them so they look like this:

Leave some of the rod hanging out past the nuts, it will help center the tool in the damping rod.

Salty_monk mentioned using a length of PVC pipe to drive the seals home. a length of 1 1/2" pipe is almost perfect.
            It is so close, it's actually a bit tight, so I cut a slit down the length so it can expand a bit.
            Slide it over the upper tube, use a block of wood or a hammer to drive the seal home.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I used a broom handle to remove whatever that thing is called. Simple but ya might wanna heat the area around the allen screw to make it easier.

Used the old seal and a stock peice of wood to knock the new seal in.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
              X