Lowering a GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering a GS1100E

My legs aren't long enough to reach the ground without being tippy toed.
    When I last rode my bike ten years ago, I was in better shape and rode alone. Now the bike has been refurbished and is in better shape than I am.
    To add to the problem, I'm now carrying a passenger and must set the springs up a few notches for touring with two.
    This model won't let me slide the triple tree down the tubes since they have air-over-oil suspension.
    Can I change the shocks to one and a half inches shorter units?
    Can I also remove a spacer in the forks to let the front ride lower?
    Please advise. I don't like "cruisers" but can see their advantage to a shorty like me.

When you lower it, you're going to bottom out when riding two up. How high is it? Can you get the seat padding reduced a bit? You can remove the springs and get a shorter version from Progressive, or just cut the stock ones. I do not recommend any of this though. The engineers are paid a lot of money to design these things. I'd hate to second guess their wisdom.

Tim

Comment

It would be best IMO if you just lowered the seat, but id you decide to lower the front and rear suspension lower them the same amount so you keep the same geometry, but you would still lose ground clearance and you can never have enough of that!!!

Comment

Lowering a GS1100E

OK, I have to agree. Now I've looked at the seats and Corbin still makes a custom seat for '82 &'83 GS1100's. I need to confirm my '81 GS1100E is the same saddle. Hopefully Corbin's saddle will allow me to reach the ground with confidence as well as be comfortable on trips.
        It's a horrible feeling to step down on loose gravel on a slope to one side and start to lose control. I'm still nursing a sore lower back from my last encounter. My friends and relatives think I'm nuts to be riding at 71.
        Thanks for your opinions.

Comment

i love my corbin seat as i have short legs and longer mid-section - it sits me down on my 83 gs1100 es perfectly and lowered the overall center of gravity making tight corners - parking lot manuvers much easier;

dave

Comment

Re: Lowering a GS1100E

Originally posted by dobias
            OK, I have to agree. Now I've looked at the seats and Corbin still makes a custom seat for '82 &'83 GS1100's. I need to confirm my '81 GS1100E is the same saddle. Hopefully Corbin's saddle will allow me to reach the ground with confidence as well as be comfortable on trips.
            It's a horrible feeling to step down on loose gravel on a slope to one side and start to lose control. I'm still nursing a sore lower back from my last encounter. My friends and relatives think I'm nuts to be riding at 71.

I hope I'm still able to ride at 71

Comment

[quote="Jay B]

I hope I'm still able to ride at 71[quote]

If I can't ride at 71, I don't want to be alive....
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I HAVE A 1983 GS1100E AND I CAN PUT MY FEET FLAT ON THE GROUND. I AM 5' 3" TALL(I MEAN SHORT) AND IT WAS VERY SIMPLE TO DO
                I HAVE A 16 INCH FRONT WHEEL FROM A 750 HONDA--ALL I HAD TO DO WAS HAVE THE FRONT CALIPERS MACHINED TO MATCH THE NEW ROTOR POSITION AND BUY A NEW TIRE 8O 8O .
                I HAVE A CORBIN SEAT WHICH IS VERY LOW AND HAS ALMOST NO PADDING SOMETIMES BUMPS REALLY GET ME . THE THIRD ITEM IS I LOWERED THE BACK BY 1 1/2 INHES BY HUNTING UP SOME SHOCKS (LONG STORY AND SEARCH). tHE FRONT END CAN BE LOWERED BUT YOU MUST HAVE THE AIR BALLANCING TUBE HOLES WELDED AND SWITCH TO PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS WHICH WILL EASILY RUN WITHOUT AIR. I FOUND THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO MAKE THE TUBE MODIFICATION; BUT I RUN PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS WITHOUT AIR.---THE BIKE HAS A SUPER LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY AND WILL TURN WITH A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF COAXING NOW. I HOPE YOU DONT MIND ME SAYING THIS, BUT I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY ANYONE OVER 40 WOULD STILL BE RIDING A MOTORCYCLE. IT SEEMS A BIT FOOLISH

Comment

Over 40.

If you think being over 40 and still riding is silly then what is your excuse. We all know you havent seen 40 in a whole mess of years and your still riding. Well till you fall that is. I realize that that is only several feet down your driveway but still..........

Comment

He only rides when he can get out of the driveway!

Comment

COULDNT YOU CREEPS HAVE WAITED UNTILL DOBIAS TOOK AT LEAST ONE SHOT BACK AT ME 8O 8O 8O --REMEMBER I MADE ONE OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS ON THIS WEBSITE BY MOCKING HIM BECAUSE HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE LETTERS "GS" IN THE SUZUKI MODELS STOOD FOR

Comment

Lowering a GS1100E

OK, as far as the lowered seat is concerned, their $200 seats for '82 & '83s
                        won't fit. Just to see how much a lowered seat would help, I took the seat completely off and straddled the frame. No improvement was noticed because the frame and plastic panels pushed my legs so far apart I was still on tip toes.
                        I may pop for the $400 it'll take for a seat but I'm not expecting much help.
                        Another question: I had an oil cooler installed from an '83 GS1150 and have noticed it doesn't get warm after a ride. I would expect it to be somewhat warm to the touch. Am I missing an engine oil diverter or something?

Comment

Another question: I had an oil cooler installed from an '83 GS1150 and have noticed it doesn't get warm after a ride. I would expect it to be somewhat warm to the touch. Am I missing an engine oil diverter or something?

do you see a diference in temperature on your temp guage???

Comment

Lowering a GS1100E

What temperature gauge? All I know is the crankcase gets too hot to touch and the oil cooler stays cool.

Comment

What temperature gauge? All I know is the crankcase gets too hot to touch and the oil cooler stays cool.
                              OYE
                              PLEASE TELL US WHAT TYPE OF OIL COOLER YOU HAD INSTALLED AND WHERE THE THING PICKS UP AND RETURNS THE OIL--MAYBE THEN SOMEONE CAN ZERO IN ON THE SITUATION--MY HOME BREW OIL COOLER GETS WARM AFTER RIDING A WHILE BUT NEVER SEEMS TO GET BURNING HOT AND I DID NOTICE THE DIFERENCE IN OIL TEMP AFTER I INSTALLED IT AND ALSO ANOTHER CHANGE WHEN I REMOVED THE SHUT OFF VALVE FROM THE INTAKE LINE.

Comment

Working...
                              X