Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok.......the newbie is back with another good question :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok.......the newbie is back with another good question :)

does anyone know if ya can get to the oil strainer from underneath the motor without taken the exhaust pipes off?..ide like to clean it ..i have a 1980 gs1000g

Re: ok.......the newbie is back with another good question :

What oil strainer? There is only a drain plug underneath the engine and an oil filter in the front.

Earl

Originally posted by ddz
    does anyone know if ya can get to the oil strainer from underneath the motor without taken the exhaust pipes off?..ide like to clean it ..i have a 1980 gs1000g
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

the parts catolog shows a strainer under the plate that the drain plug screws in to .........since the bikes so old ..i thought it would be a good idea to inspect , clean & or replace it

Comment

It probably isnt necessary. (I have one bike that sat untouched in a barn for 20 years and it wasnt necessary) :-) If you decide to do that though, be sure and have a new gasket on hand as its likely the old one will not be reusable after so many years.

Earl

Originally posted by ddz
        the parts catolog shows a strainer under the plate that the drain plug screws in to .........since the bikes so old ..i thought it would be a good idea to inspect , clean & or replace it
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

there is a screen on the oil pump. But you will most likly have to remove the exhaust system in order to remove the oil pan. Work is probably unnecessary. Just do regular oil changes

Comment

Don't worry about the strainer. The mesh is coarser than that on a screen door. Unless you toasted your engine it won't need any service.

Comment

Working...
            X