Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just running after a year type problems

Hi all,

Just got my 80 gs750et runnin after replacing the head gasket and all that jazz. Only took me a year. Here's the problem:

starts and runs fine until I give a alot of throttle. Then it gets throaty and won't accelerate. IF I BARELY OPEN THE THROTTLE IT IS FINE but I cannot get up over 60ish.

I have added pod filters (pro sport) but the plugs don't look too lean. I am in Colorado so it needs air regardless. This is the only difference from a year ago. If I rev it to 5000 or so without moving it is really snappy so I don't think I have an air leak or anything mechanically wrong.

Any ideas? If I need to jet it up here, does anyone know the best way to do it for this altitude?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Just running after a year type problems

If you moved to a higher elevation, the air is thinner so you wouldnt be running too lean, you would be running too rich.

Earl

Originally posted by kentcarter
    Hi all,

Just got my 80 gs750et runnin after replacing the head gasket and all that jazz. Only took me a year. Here's the problem:

starts and runs fine until I give a alot of throttle. Then it gets throaty and won't accelerate. IF I BARELY OPEN THE THROTTLE IT IS FINE but I cannot get up over 60ish.

I have added pod filters (pro sport) but the plugs don't look too lean. I am in Colorado so it needs air regardless. This is the only difference from a year ago. If I rev it to 5000 or so without moving it is really snappy so I don't think I have an air leak or anything mechanically wrong.

Any ideas? If I need to jet it up here, does anyone know the best way to do it for this altitude?

Thanks in advance.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Mixture would be leaner

thanks Earl for the reply but I jetted this bike for this altitude 3 years ago. It would be leaner now due to switching to pods as opposed to using the stock airbox.

Comment

The pods are the cause of your problem alright. You'll have to upjet the mains. It'll take a bit of trial and error but a rough starting point would be an increase in jet size of about 15%.

Comment

Stock airbox - works fine.

TOO LEAN WITH PODS...SUCK

Comment

If you want to verify that it's the pods - put the stock airbox back on and take it for a ride. Just a thought anyway.

Where you at in Colorado?

Comment

I'm in Loveland, by FT Collins. Not too far. And it is the pods. I was trying to avoid putting the airbox back on as it is a pain. Which model do you have and are you using the stock air cleaner? This bike was from a lower altitude and I had to guess at it until it worked. Now I imagine I will just have to fork over the cash and get a jet kit.

Where do you get parts? Steele's?

Comment

I'm not using the stock air cleaner. I'm presently doing some extensive modifications to the entire bike - '80 GS1100E. Just got the new pistons and installed the cylinders last night. I might post a pic in post I started a while ago - 80 gs1100e mods - in the performance section page 2 - I haven't posted there in a while.

Comment

Cool I'd love to see it. I'm gonna check that post and probably bug you some more.

Comment

wow, so I just read the whole article. I now have nothing to show for the workday except reading about your bike. :P I doubt I will ever do so many mods but I have wanted to for years.

Where are you shopping for parts...just ebay? I'm about to paint my bike but I need plastics. Any suggestions? Also, and I hope I'm not buggin you, but what happens when you leave the rear end stock and put inverted forks on the front? Can you put a 17" tire on these bikes?

Comment

I do a lot of shopping on ebay. I'd check there for plastics too - just be careful and ask questions from the seller.

There are a few articles on using 17 in. wheels in this forum. Try different search methods and if you don't find them - start another post. Im using the 180 profile tire, but if you use different swingarms you have different choices. You don't need to go to a monoshock to get a 17" tire.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for the info and good luck. When your bike is done I would love to ride down and see it.

Comment

Working...
                        X