Why do my carbs hate me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do my carbs hate me?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem? For the last couple years I have had numerous problems with the pilot jets on my '83 GS1100E (and my other bikes). Due to circumstances (life) I do not ride as often as I used to so my bikes often sit for a couple weeks between rides. I took the GS out this evening for a ride with the little lady and once again it is running rough. It has been 2 weeks sine I last rode it. I know that if I pull the carbs and check the pilot jets one will be clogged. I inspect them with a loupe and can see that they are perfectly clean when I put them back together. The bike will run great once I clean the pilots but I have no doubts the problem will return if I let it sit for a couple weeks. This spring I suspected gas tank rust as the culprit and cleaned and sealed the tank woth POR-15 and I have seen NO rust in the carbs. I have an inline fuel filter, the brass metallic kind. I always use Amoco, Mobil, or Shell 92 or 93 octane fuel, keep the tanks full, and add fuel stabilizer.

Years ago when I was not as responsible as I am now I never did any winter prep, kept my bikes in an unheated garage and didn't clean any carbs for 10 years on any of my bikes. Now I do a nice winter prep, fill the tanks, add fuel stabilizer, run the bikes long enough to get the stabilizer into the carbs and keep them covered in a heated garage. Now I clean carbs on one bike or another at least once a month. I'm sure I have cleaned carbs at least 6 times on the 3 bikes this summer.

I suspect the nature of today's gas might be the problem. I know there are lots of additives these days and I wonder if they are messing up the good old gasoline. When I picked up my brand new '99 ZRX1100 from the dealer it had the same problem. They had to pull and clean the jets before I even rode it! I had the same problem twice in the next month and the dealer told me it was due to very small pilot jets. They installed bigger pilots but I still have the problem if the bike sits for a few weeks.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong here? Or is this just the way it is and I just have to keep cleaning the carbs?

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

I sometimes let one of my bikes sit for a few weeks while I ride the other and I have never had to clean the pilots as a result. I never put anything in my gas tanks except gas. You could try using nothing but gas and forget the additives and when youre going to let the bike sit, turn the fuel off (or disconnect the fuel line) and let the bike run until the float bowls are empty.
    That should solve the clogged pilot problem.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

When I was little -- let's say 30 years ago -- my dad would leave gas in his bass boat all year long and he never had a problem.

Dad's retired now and he and his brother have a business repairing boat motors. They see carb after carb that is gummed up from gas that has gone bad and left a laquer film.

I don't know how long it takes for gas to become problematic. It seems I've heard 2 weeks on the low end and 3 months on the high end.

Have you tried using Stabil with each fill up. Read the bottle, of course, to make sure it can be used that often.

Comment

Joe, you know i'm pretty close by, i could take one of your bikes for you and 'keep an eye on it'. i would definitly keep the pilots from clogging.

in all seriousness...i would suggest adding Sta-Bil to your fuel with every fill up. this would help you avoid pilot jet clogging problems hopefully. i have been lucky in the past with letting a bike sit for a month or so without fuel treatment, but it seems you know these bikes are going to sit often, so its best to add Sta-Bil in advance.

the only other thing, would be just run the bikes every week or so. take them for a quick little 'whose your daddy' ride, and say hi to them.

i think we're planning a ride next saturday, that would give you a nice chance to clean the carbs out good on the road. 8)

~Adam

Comment

intersting to hear you only use Mobil, Shell or Shell gasolines. i have the same taste.

Comment

Guys,

I do add fuel stabilizer with every tank. I used to use Sta-Bil but changed to a POR product to see if that helped.

Earl, Last year I tried the shut off the gas and run it empty routine. It worked okay but this spring the carbs had to come off.

Adam, keep me in the loop about a Saturday ride.

Has anyone tried one of these fuel catalysts? My local bike shop mechanic told me he has heard positive things about them. Their website has reviews and testimonials. Check it out:

Thanks for the help,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

carbs

whew....I thought I was the only one who was hated by his carbs. Also try an excorcism.......can't hurt. Get the DEMONS out.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy
                Has anyone tried one of these fuel catalysts? My local bike shop mechanic told me he has heard positive things about them. Their website has reviews and testimonials. Check it out:
                I've heard that they help a little on gas milage, but that's it, and the amount is very small. I doubt it's worth the money they want for them.

Comment

Fuel catalysts work on the "sucka" principle, "there is a sucka born every minute".
                  I suggest running the bikes at least once a week, forget about stabil etc.
                  Dink

Comment

yeah...try and make it a routine to start the bikes up one night of the week and let em run a few minutes.

then call me up and i'll come over and ride them for you

~Adam

Comment

Guys, I do try to start the bikes frequently. I also try to keep in mind that you should always let a motorcycle (or car) run until it gets up to full operating temperature. Otherwise you can get condensation in the cylinders, exhaust, etc. I also try not to kill myself with carbon monoxide fumes. So, to get all three bikes uncovered, out of the garage, started and run up to temp, and then put back away isn't just a few minute job. Plus, if I start them I end up running off for a ride and getting behind on other things. I just can't understand why this happens so quickly. If I left the bikes sitting outside for months without starting them I would expect trouble. But 2 weeks in the garage in summer? That seems a bit much.

Anyway, thanks for the hints..........
                      IBA# 24077
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Do you buy gas from the same station or two all the time? I've heard that places that have low volume sales are prone to getting stale gas. The problem is compounded when buying higher grades of gas since fewer people buy them, and it tends to be even older.

Ride more or drain the carbs, I guess.

-Morgan

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I believe you, but this just does'nt make sense.
                          If you clean the pilot jets, go for a ride, then return with a STILL good running engine and turn it off and park it, how can the pilots become clogged just from sitting? The pilots can only get clogged with particles if the engine is running. Even if there were lots of particles floating in the bowls, as the bike sits they would just settle to the bottom. They would not defy gravity and rise up and plug the jet. Then when you start it in 2 weeks the particles would be at the bottom of the bowls, in the "catch", too far away from the jet opening to get drawn in. But you say if you wait about 2 weeks the jets will become clogged.
                          And for this to happen on 3 engines is even more strange.
                          For something this strange, next time the jets get cleaned I would put the particles in an envelope and have them scanned at a lab to see what they're made of. At least you would know what they are and you would be better able to guess where they came from. It still would be a mystery how they can clog the jets, given the circumstances.
                          Did you anger the GS Gods or something? :P
                          Hope you figure it out. And if you do, please tell us what it was.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                          X