Setting the Timing with a Dyna S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting the Timing with a Dyna S

this is regarding the 79 GS550 with a Dyna S ignition system.

i finally got a hold of a timing light yesterday, and hooked up to wire #4 with the engine sitting at 3000 RPM. i moved the Dyna S plate to align the advance mark for #1-4 with the factory mark (a small plate that goes behind the Dyna). good and set.

now my problem is about #2-3. i have timing marks for #2-3, so i hooked up to wire #3 and checked. now the advance mark was slightly behind the stock timing mark (retarded). so i had to get out the little allen key thing, and try moving the Dyna S #2-3 pickup. i moved it a bit, and looked and the advance mark wasn't moving. is it supposed to? how do i set #2-3?

i marked where it was set by Dyna, and put it back near there...a little more advanced. the bike felt better this morning, having at least two cylinders timing right...but how do i make sure i'm getting #2-3 good?

thanks in advance.

~Adam

Hi Adam. When you move the module the timing mark will move.
    For me, this is the easiest way to set the Dyna S timing: Warm up the engine, hook up a timing/strobe light onto #4 plug lead and battery ground. Put a fan on the engine if you like and have your allen key ready.
    Start the engine and using your idle screwknob, raise your rpm's to 2500(Dyna's instructions) or, to be sure of full advance, 2800-3000 rpm. Hit it with the strobe. If advance mark is off, loosen the left module allens just enough to move the module. While watching the strobe, push the module counter-clockwise to advance or clockwise to retard and align marks. Holding the module still, tighten the allens. Re-check. Clamp the strobe on #3 and repeat, using the right module.
    Put a dab of silicone on each end of each module and they will never move. Allow to dry.You can set the timing this way in less than 5 minutes.
    Another way to set the Dyna's timing WITHOUT TIMING TOOLS: Remove the #3 and #4 sparkplugs and re-attach their leads.(If you remove the other plugs it is easier to turn the engine) Place the tips of the plugs on the head to ground them. Turn the engine clockwise with a 19mm wrench, not the smaller end bolt. When #1/4 marks begin to approach the timing mark, turn on the ignition,with your thumb and index finger turn the advance rotor clockwise to fully advanced position. Keeping it fully advanced, SLOWLY turn the engine. The #4 plug should fire when the advance mark aligns with the timing mark. If not, move the module as stated earlier, tighten and re-check. Repeat for #2/3 while listening/watching #3 plug to fire. If you worry about your battery, turn off the ignition while making adjustments.
    It may take some practice to get the "feel" of holding the rotor and turning the engine. To avoid a false read, you need to stop turning the engine EXACTLY when the plug fires. If you go too far, turn the engine SLOWLY backwards just enough to let you try again. You don't have to rotate the marks all the way around again.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks Keith, i figured i should have just emailed you about this, since you were going to be the one to reply.

to adjust the #1-4 timing i loosened the three screws that hold the Dyna S plate, and dialed it in. this is what Dyna says to do to adjust the timing.

i then checked #2-3 the same way, and tried moving the pickup. It looked like i only had .25 inches of travel UP with the #2-3 pickup, and it looks like i need quite a few degrees of advance to get it dialed in.

I dont know if this will work, but if i move the #1-4 pickup up (retard) then move the Dyna S plate to the right (advance) and get #1-4 reset to stock timing. will this give me more adjustment room for the #2-3...or is the Dyna S plate screws only adjust #1-4?

i hope that made sense.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
        thanks Keith, i figured i should have just emailed you about this, since you were going to be the one to reply.

to adjust the #1-4 timing i loosened the three screws that hold the Dyna S plate, and dialed it in. this is what Dyna says to do to adjust the timing.

i then checked #2-3 the same way, and tried moving the pickup. It looked like i only had .25 inches of travel UP with the #2-3 pickup, and it looks like i need quite a few degrees of advance to get it dialed in.

I dont know if this will work, but if i move the #1-4 pickup up (retard) then move the Dyna S plate to the right (advance) and get #1-4 reset to stock timing. will this give me more adjustment room for the #2-3...or is the Dyna S plate screws only adjust #1-4?

i hope that made sense.

~Adam
        I would not have replied yet, except I have the day off.
        I think you should first TRY to see if you have enough adjustment to set #2/3. Each module allows (+ -) 10 degrees of adjustment. .01'' = 1 degree.
        You say you may need more advance room for #2/3. If you rotate the entire plate to the right (clockwise) you will further retard the #2/3 module in relation to the advance rotor. So this would be the opposite of what you want.
        The Dyna S plate just holds the modules. The way they say to initially set the timing is supposed to be the easiest way. There is not a lot of room for error because of the "limited" adjustment room. I just mounted my plate so the upper slotted hole in the plate has the mounting screw roughly in the middle. I then moved each module seperately from the plate. Worked for me.
        And by the way, I think it's best to share your replies with everyone. It gets you more ideas.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith, i'm a bit retarded, much like my timing was. i was rotating the #2-3 pickup the wrong way...i pulled it DOWN and the timing mark moved right over to where i needed it to. the screw holding the pickup in was almost outside the holder, so i retarded the timing and took it for a cruise. off throttle response was nicer, it felt smoother at 5000 RPM, and overall just felt quicker up to speed.

thanks for the help...glad i went out and played with it some and figured it out. hard to believe i'm all set now.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
          X