Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator

I have a 1981 gs1000g. I am having battery charging problems as well. I replaced the stator 2yrs ago and i thought everything was fine. but now sometimes my bike won't start, because it's turning tooooooooo slow. I keep reading where some of you guys made some changes in wiring and actually changed to a honda rectifier/regulator. which of these changes will work on my gs? any suggestions?

You say it turns slowly "sometimes". Does it turn over later on after it cools down? Is your battery okay? We need more information to help. I apologize for not having some possible answer, but need just a bit more info.

TIm

Comment

Break out a voltage tester when the bike is turing over slowly and see what the voltage is across the battery terminals. If it is 12V or above I would look at a mechanical problem. You could also test your stator and regulator to see if they are bad. Get a friend to come over (it really helps to have a spare set of hands when testing) and use your (or someone else's) volt-ohm meter and follow the Stator Papers guidelines to test the system.

Hap

Comment

regulator

it turns over slowly becuase the battery gets low, like it isn't charging good or something.

Comment

regulator/rectifier

I "heard" talk of some wire changes or additional connections to the battery from the regulator/rectifier as well as changing these out for the honda version of the same beast! Those are the instructions I am looking for.

Comment

Check under the thread titled "My Regulator Modification", by SLOPOKE in the "Tips And Tricks" section 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
            X