Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum gauges and Synchronizing Carbs

Hey,

I was going to make an attempt to sync my carbs, as they are in bad need of it. I have one vacuum gauge that is about 30 years old, but understand that you need two to sync the carbs. If I went out and got a second, would that make any difference in the readings, due to meter differences and such? Also, any tips/tricks on syncing carbs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--Tyler

Tyler you would be better off the buy a new set.
    Dink

Comment

Check in the product review forum, there is a post by JOJO on a set of gauges for synching the carbs,
      John.

Comment

You can generally adjust the "zero" on mechanical gauges- oftentimes you must remove the glass on the front (the rim will unscrew from the gauge body) and then tweak what looks like a screw head to adjust the needle's position.

In theory, you could attach both gauges to a vacuum source using a "T" adaptor, and adjust one of 'em 'til they both read the same. If that vacuum source was a variable one powered by a Suzuki 4-cycle engine, you might try changing the throttle settings to be certain both gauges read the same through a range of inputs.

You could just go down to your local car parts store and buy a pair of gauges for somethign like $8 or $10 apiece. Then again for $40 or $50 you could buy a set of mercury sticks and not have to worry about damping out needle flutter. THey'd also include the fittings you'll need in order to attach the gauges to your intake manifold.

Bill

Comment

A new set of vacume guages is ceap as well.

A new set of vacume gauges is as cheap as new mercury sticks. At any rate you are going to need four gauges. If you don't want to buy a new set of 4 you can check your old ones to make sure they are zero'd the same as your new ones. Just compare them all by hooking them all to the same carb.

Comment

Working...
          X