GS1100L rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100L rear end

I've found a basket case '80 GS1100L and I'm thinking about using the rear end for a trike project (see URL below if curious). It would be simpler to build, though, if the sprocket was on the right side and the brake was on the left.

Can the GS1100L's rear wheel be flipped over if I can figure out some way to mount the brake caliper to the left trailing arm? The wheel and brake disc would run backwards then, but I can't think of any parts that are unidirectional.

Thanks for any help offered.

edit ops forgot we are talking chain drive not shaftie

Comment

Re: GS1100L rear end

Whats wrong with just turning the swingarm over, wheel, sprockets, brakes and all?

Earl

Originally posted by carcentric

Can the GS1100L's rear wheel be flipped over if I can figure out some way to mount the brake caliper to the left trailing arm? The wheel and brake disc would run backwards then, but I can't think of any parts that are unidirectional.

Thanks for any help offered.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Maybe nothin' . . .

Well, Earl, the spring/shocks would be pointed the wrong way (down), but they'll have to be upgraded anyway, so if that's the method you'd recommend, sounds fine to me.

One other possibility I'm not sure about: The rear brake is hydraulic, right? Usually the bleed screw needs to be on the top of the caliper - flipping it over would make bleeding difficult to impossible UNLESS there are two bleed screws . . . are there? Or could a second one be drilled easily?

Thanks for the input - keep it coming!

Comment

Working...
        X