oil temp on a gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil temp on a gs1100e

I was wondering how hot the oil temp should get on my bike. It usualy doesnt run much over 210, one of the previous owners put an oil cooler on it. Today it climbed to about 280 in town, and wouldnt go down. Even at crusing speed. So where should it run with the oil cooler? Is it ok for it to get that hot? I've never rode anything with an oil temp gauge, so I don't know whats normal.

210 is pretty good, temps above around 250 is getting pretty hot, it can take better than 20 miles of open highway crusing to see the temp come back down.
    280 was good and hot, were you getting any detonation, or surging? (overheating signs)

Comment

So, you have an 1100E with an oil cooler. Where did you route the lines to the cooler from - the oil passages near the oil filter? Did you change the oil filter cover to one from an 1150?

Comment

I did have some pinging when I loaded the motor up around town. I'm sure how the lines are run, the bike had the cooler on it when I bought it. But I'll go out and check it out. Thanks for the advice on the temps.

Comment

The reason I'm asking about the lines is that the cooler is probably not doing much at all in the configuration it is probably in. In order to get oil to flow through the cooler - not bypass it - you need an oil filter cover from an 1150. The 1100 cover allows oil to bypass the cooler and flow directly to the filter.

I'll be gone to Houston for the next 2 days so I won't have time to explain this. We had a thread once on this and it was pretty well documented. Look it up.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
            X