I want to be heard! Horns no good...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to be heard! Horns no good...

I am less than impressed with the lame nasal-sounding bleat that passes for a horn on my GS1150. Best ever sound was the horn on my last bike, 1980 GoldWing - sounded like a Lincoln Town Car, they could really make a cage driver sit up and take notice.

Anybody have any suggestions on aftermarket horns (without breaking the bank)? Or even just specs I should look for e.g. how loud in dB?

I know a guy that spliced three horns onto his bike. While one nasally sounding horn isn't much....three would blow your socks off. Not to mention that the cost of finding a couple of old GS horns that work would be pretty cheap.

Satch

Comment

Go down to the nearest FLAPS(1) and get a couple horns that look like snails (I forget the right name, sue me) from a big old american type car and a horn relay (don't wanna do it without a relay, unless you like burning out switches). One is a low tone, and the other is high. You'll sound like Gramps in his Town Car. Don't forget the ear plugs.

(1)Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
        Go down to the nearest FLAPS(1) and get a couple horns that look like snails (I forget the right name, sue me) from a big old american type car and a horn relay (don't wanna do it without a relay, unless you like burning out switches). One is a low tone, and the other is high. You'll sound like Gramps in his Town Car. Don't forget the ear plugs.

(1)Friendly Local Auto Parts Store
        I installed a high-low pair of Fiamm horns on my GS. A relay is required and included in the blister pack. You need a few extra feet of 20A wire and an inline fuse to run to the battery.

They're red & black snail shape with a chrome grill over the mouth. I took the chrome off because it looks out of place. They mount fine in place of the old horns with trumpets facing down.

Loud. Deafening in an enclosed garage. Saved me twice last night when impatient idiots wanted to take my space to overtake trams. Those of you who've lived in cities with trams will know what this is like.

Comment

Minivan horns

If you're not too picky about the looks of the horn, I've read that Chrysler product (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler) minivan horns work quite well, hook right up, and are pretty loud. You can pick one up at your local auto-recycler for just a couple of bucks. A relay from the local autoparts store will save the expense of a burned horn switch.
          (next project on my ride.)

Cheers,

Comment

U-Pull-It Auto Parts Horns from Early 80's Ford (2 each) = $8.00
            Relay From Autozone = $4.99
            Scaring the hell out of the dude sitting next to me at the traffic light with his window open when I use them = PRICELESS!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Before you spend any money, take a close look at your present horns.
              You should find a small bolt witha slot,head, and a lock-nut.

Loosen the lock-nut a bit and turn the slot head slightly.

Try the horn.

Do it again until it quits or until you get the sound you want.

Tighten the lock nut while holding the bolt in place with your screwdriver.

It may not work....depends on the individual horns...but it may work. Did on my bike...and the mechanic who checked it out for its licence did not believe what I had done.

It is LOUD! 8O
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron's right about that. did that yesterday while fiddling with some other stuff and now they blast louder than the dual horns on my new bike! Whodathunk! 8O

Comment

I'll third that point - I've had to do it on several previous bikes. When I got this one, it made about as much noise as I would if I yelled "BEEP!" with my hand over my mouth.

Now I can snap people back from cell-phone land on the freeway with a short blat from the horns....

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                  X