power draw for motorcycle alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power draw for motorcycle alarm

I've noticed some HJC Chatterbox 2002 motorcycle alarms for sale on e-bay (US$50) and I've been thinking of getting one for my bike. It would be a really sick feeling to walk outside one morning and find her (a) gone or (b) vandalized.
    I'm concerned about the power that the alarm would draw from the bike's power system - an 81GS650GL - with the notorious charging system. As bad as it would be to lose the old girl, I'd get pretty tired of having to pull out the jumper cables every time I want to start the engine.

(a) does anyone know about these particular alarm systems?
    (b) any thoughts on the power drain?

Thanks in advance.

It will run off of battery power, so the charging system really has nothing to do with it - except to recharge the battery - which it should be capable of.

Wait - are we talking about a GS? Ok, never mind.

Seriously though, the power draw should be minimal if the alarm is just in standby mode. If it goes off, then there is quite a bit more power draw. If the state of charge of the battery drops below a certain level most alarms deactivate, although I'm not intimately familiar with that particular alarm. Check the specs, it should tell you.

Comment

this will fix battey

just add a solar trickle charger, it will keep the bat up. some are small enuff to store under the seat or tank bag when going places.

Comment

just add a solar trickle charger, it will keep the bat up. some are small enuff to store under the seat or tank bag when going places.
        Good idea - then they won't steal the bike - just the charger.

Comment

Working...
        X