1983 GS1100E Forkin Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100E Forkin Question

I'm rebuilding a 1983 Suzuki GSX1100SD Katana. I purchased a 1983 GS1100E as a donor bike (engine, carbs..etc). I'm wondering if I should use the set of forks that came with the GS1100E or the Katana, which is better?. Either will need to be rebuilt. I'm also wondering if the GS1100E has the original forks. They have the anti-dive feature as well as a small rubber knob with four selections on the bottom of each tube. The tubes themselves have a slight buldge twords the bottom outer portion of the leg. The legs are painted black. Also it has an air-assist feature. The reason I ask is that I have the owners manual for the 1980 to 1982 GS1100E. The section on forks does not show this set-up. If It is a "new for 83" feature I'll have to buy that manual....Thanks for any help...If you know where I can get a close up picture of the forks of an 83 I'd appreciate it.

Don't have an opinion on which forks to use but, it's strange that your manual doesn't show the anti-dive setup for the 82. The 82 and 83 1100E forks are pretty much identical. Sure your manual doesn't stop at 81?
    82 is when the anti-dive was added.
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, yes your description of the 83 forks sounds dead on, that's the factory setup (for the 82 as well).
    Click the www thingy down below. Takes you to my website. I've got pics of an 82 and 83 1100E there.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did look through my manual. It is for an 1981 GS1100. The supplements are for the 1981,1982,1983 Katanas. They show the anti-dive I'm used to seeing. Guess I'm going to have to get the manual for the 1983 GS1100E as well. Have you rebuilt the forks on your 83 1100? I have most of the special tools. However, I've always had luck doing it by the numbers from the factory service manual. Seems to be the problem with parts swapping. I dig the GS1150ES on your site, all the bikes are nice.

Comment

Yeah, I've done the forks on the 83. Needed seals when I got it.
        No real major gotchas that I recall, especially if you've already done forks with anti-dive units.
        If the forks is the only reason your thinking of the 83 manual I think you'd be alright without it. I can get you the fluid capacity and/or levels from my manual if you need.
        One thing I did find is that I couldn't find replacement seals for the anti-dive units. Not the o-rings where they mount on the fork, that wasn't a problem, but the those internal to the unit. The micro-fiche shows them as a single unit and they are discontinued. If you decide to take them apart be careful of the seals.
        Also on the bottom half of the anti-dive unit, where the spring is located. I would recommend not removing the spring. It's a royal pain to re-install and cleaning it out can be done easily enough with the spring in place.

Comment

Wait a second - the 1100's have adjustable forks???

I've been ripped off!!! Are they air adjustable as well? The knob - does it adjust preload, compresson, or rebound?

Do tell - I smell a fork swap coming....

-Q!

Comment

Hey Grasshopper ...looks like yours is an 85 GS1100ES. My first bike back in 87 was an 85 GS700ES. Wish I would have kept the factory manual, comes in handy. As I recall it was anti-dive only, maybe an air assist, not sure. This person has an 85 GS700ES (brings back memories) e-mail him, maybe he'll help ( luke@spithappens.org )

Comment

Working...
            X