No announcement yet.

GS-series generic questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, "dual I believe" isnt going to work. :-) I'm not trying to be picky, but let me explain. Your bike was manufactured with two different types of ignition points through manufacturing runs, Some bikes had the nippondenso breaker plate that used the single screw mount short length nippondenso points, others had the Kokosan breaker and kokosan points are set on longer bases and use two mounting screws, The two types of points are not interchangable, but both are correct for your bike. When ordering points, you must specify to the dealer which type your bike has and the only way to know this for sure is to remove your points cover and look at your pointsets to see if they are held down with one screw or use two screws. You could match up this information by referencing the engine serial number, but someone in the past 20 years could have replaced the ignition system too. :-) The best thing to do is open the cover and look. Cycle recycle carries both styles of points, but they assign their own stock numbers, so the dealer would not be able to reference those. cycle recycle uses the same stock number for 750 and 550 single screw nippondenso point sets and a different number for 750 and 550 kokosan dual screw point sets. I have new sets of both types in my parts supplies, but It will be tomorrow before I will be able to dig them out. I should be able to get a manufacturer name and part number off them for you then. The condensers are the same.

Earl

Originally posted by StrwbrryAnngel
    dual I believe, the reason I am looking for part numbers is I want to take these parts back to the dealer (picked them up today, going back tomorrow) and make him give me back the enormous price he charged (double his quote). I also want to shove it in his face that he ordered the wrong parts (I didn't have numbers last time).
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

sorry for the "i believe" it is 1:30 AM here, and the bike is in the garage. Hubby is sleeping, and I am not goin to wake him up right now (and face the grizzly bear mood). I'll post tomorrow. The dealer didn't ask what type of points, I looked on the site and from memory I would say it is the double screw one you mentioned.

Comment

Ok, it is morning, and it is the dual screw set. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I really really want to get on the road.

Comment

If you will PM me with your mailing address, I have a new set of Kokosan points (right and left side) that I will express mail to you monday noon if you would like. NO charge....:-) I dont have a bike that uses Kokusan points anymore.

Earl

Ok, it is morning, and it is the dual screw set. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I really really want to get on the road.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            If you will PM me with your mailing address, I have a new set of Kokosan points (right and left side) that I will express mail to you monday noon if you would like. NO charge....:-) I dont have a bike that uses Kokusan points anymore.

Earl
            Watch out, Earl, you are ruining your "bad boy" image .........in fact, you are turning out to be a "prince of a fellow". :roll:

Comment

UH Oh, must have been something I ate. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Simon Waters
              Watch out, Earl, you are ruining your "bad boy" image .........in fact, you are turning out to be a "prince of a fellow". :roll:

Comment

Seems like Earl has been re-reading the "Pay it forward" thread.

Harrison

Comment

All I can say is you guys (and girls) are beautiful. I am getting answers to my questions and offers of help that are making things much better. We had so many bike problems when we woke up this morning, and now...well let's just say we don't. Earl, I'll take you up on part of your offer. I'll send you my address, but please don't ship them "NO charge". Do you realise I live in PEI, Canada??

Comment

Yep, I understood you live on P E Island. If I had a couple days off, I would just hop on the bike and drop them by. :-) Its not that far away and besides, a set of points is only a couple ounces, so if I ship them priority U S mail on Monday, I would expect you to have them Thursday or Friday.

Earl

All I can say is you guys (and girls) are beautiful. I am getting answers to my questions and offers of help that are making things much better. We had so many bike problems when we woke up this morning, and now...well let's just say we don't. Earl, I'll take you up on part of your offer. I'll send you my address, but please don't ship them "NO charge". Do you realise I live in PEI, Canada??

Comment

Working...
                    X