Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight on/off switch

Hello all knowing!!!!

My 81 GS650G has an on/off switch for the headlight. Only problem is it doesnt move. I assume it should since its there, or was it frozen on US models????

Thanks for all the help
    Brian

Yes it should move. At least it does on my 77 750. I'd try some silicone lube, and see if it would free it up.

Comment

Re: Headlight on/off switch

Originally posted by briang1
      My 81 GS650G has an on/off switch for the headlight. Only problem is it doesnt move. I assume it should since its there, or was it frozen on US models????

Thanks for all the help
      Brian
      Actually it does not move, but can be made to be functional. They took the old switch and added a tab inside that prevents you from turning it on and off. Take the switch apart and remove the tab and it will function. They came out with it at the time it was required that lights stay on all the time. I had the same thing on my '81 GS750E. On the 1100E there is no switch at all.

Hap

Comment

hmmm, what were you saying about all knowing? :?
        DOH!

Comment

my 78's works...but my 79's doesn't move. i believe there is a screw holding it in place on the 79.

~Adam

Comment

Good scoop

Hey Hap...that's good scoop!! Do I need to do anything other than take out the tab? Are the electrics all hooked up and everything?? Will I recognize the tab when I see it? Thanks!!
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Here's a different point of view: leave it alone. Assuming the electrics are in good shape, and that you're not overloading the system a la Gold Wing, with a plethora of gizmos, the bike should run just fine.

Of the five GS bikes I've owned, only one, a 79 GS850, had an off-on switch. I kept it on all the time, so I wouldn't forget to have my headlight turned on, for safety reasons. Never one electrical or charging problem with any of my GS's, except for a stator dying on an 82 GS850 back in 1988.

Nick

Comment

I have an n/off switch on the headlight on my 1981 GS750L. The nice thing about having it is when my battery went south right after buying the bike turning the headlight off let me get the bike started.

Mike

Comment

headlight switch

[quote="mdole"]I have an n/off switch on the headlight on my 1981 GS750L. The nice thing about having it is when my battery went south right after buying the bike turning the headlight off let me get the bike started.

Mike[/quote..........thats for sure, having a switch works good when I need to start my 78 gs1000 as the batterys pretty well toast

Comment

Good info

Hap always has great information but...I'll answer my own question this time. You don't need to take the switch apart..just take the button off and take a razor knife and trim enough of the plastic that fits within the groove so that the switch moves down to the off position.

Don't completely get rid of the plastic portion that goes within the channel because it gives the button stability..sounds complicated but, once you take it apart and look at it, it will be easy to understand.

If you should happen to "booger" it up... order the proper piece from your dealer; the part number is 37411-45012 and it should cost about 3 bucks.
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                    X