81gs850g restoration problems. help! "newbie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81gs850g restoration problems. help! "newbie"

hello gang. i am new to the site and have been reading all the informative posts. i would like to say thanks to all who participate in helping. i am new to bikes and have a problem tuning my 850 gs carbs. it has a set of 1100 or 1000 carbs on it. anyone have the proper jet sizing for the 850 to run these carbs? also, where would i get them? any info would be greatly appreciated. also my pilots are froze in. how do you get those out? drill? please help.

aloha from hawaii.

Dont Drill or Turn them hard!

Don't Drill or Turn them hard! I can't help you with the jetting, but I have gotten frozen pilots out. I have also broken carbs with frozen pilots(junk yard ones for tear down practice luckily). Take every thing else off of them first. spray carb cleaner in them top and bottom. Drip penatrating oil in them. If it pools... Great let it soak. When the oil drains out add some more and let it soak some more. Two or three or four soakings, and they should turn out with no problem. At any rate DON'T turn too hard. The brass will strip fast. And DON'T use any easy out. The throat that the pilot is screwed into will break in a hurry. Then you can throw the body in the trash.

Comment

Looked it up in my manual:

The GS850GT (US) has Mikuni BS32SS CV carbs, the GS1000GT has BS34SS CV carbs. Jet sizes are the same, except for the idling jets:
      GS850GT: 200
      GS1000GT: 160

Float heights are also different:
      GS850GT: 23-25 mm
      GS1000GT: 22.4 mm (+/- 1.0 mm)

These are GT types (1980); I'm not sure if later models had a different jetting. You might try to get the bike running with the carbs you have, ride a couple of miles and read the plugs to see if the mixture is right.

Comment

thanks for the info gang! it really helps me. however, the jets that are in the bigger carbs do not match up to the 850 carbs at all. i think the mains are 1350 on the 1000 carbs and the mains on the 850 carbs are 115? not sure, but thats what i can read on them. i am looking to buy a set of stock 850 gs carbs if anyone knows of where i can find them. i think this will be easier and faster. the 1000 carbs wont even light up the engine anymore. i think i may have messed them up. ill try the float level again as i think this is where my problem lies.

aloha, jay

Comment

That's correct: the main jets are 115. It looks like you have some very different carbs...

Comment

Working...
          X