What Gas do you Put In..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Gas do you Put In..?

Get to fill up my 81 GS650G for the first time tmrw and i was wondering what type of gas to put in.....will i see a huge performance boost between 89 & 94 octane...? (i know in principal i should but wondered wether the reality on these older engines was the same) also i unfortunatly have to fill up using that reformulated crap...(if that has any bearing)

Phil

Put in the lowest octane you can without any knock or ping.

Higher octane fuel actually has less power than lower octane. The higher the octane number, the slower the fuel burns.
    Our bikes were designed to run on 85 octane fuel. Nowadays though, with the oxygenated fuels, and MTBE eating our rubber hoses, you might need to go higher. Not to mention built up carbon on valve stems and piston tops (Hint: use Seafoam). But don't run out and put 95 octane 76 racing gasonline in, just because you can. Fill it up with 87 and go run it, on a warm day, moderately hard. Listen to it. Any ping, AT ALL? If so, drain that out and put it in your car, then get some 89 and try again.
    Different brands can give different results too. It's a trial and error thing.
    Our bikes are jetted lean from the factory to conform to EPA standards. Add the fact that our gas has been oxygenated, and all of a sudden your even further on the lean side. A rejet can help give power, and reduce pinging.

Comment

Phil,

I have read that it is only necessary to use an octane rating high enough so you don't get detonation. That being said, I always use the highest octane (92 or 93) from Amoco, Shell, or Mobil. Then again, I still have frequent carb problems so I'm not sure what the answer is.

Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I've been running GS shaftie bikes since 1986, and have never put anything but plain ole unleaded regular in it. If it doesn't run perfectly on unleaded (87) regular, (lowest octane available in these parts), then there's something else wrong with it. Using higher octane may fix the symptoms, but not the cause of a problem.

Also, brand should not matter on our bikes. I go to Sheetz, Sunoco, Amoco, Shell, whichever is handy at the time. The mighty GK runs the same no matter what. Same with the four 850's that preceded it.

Fix your bike so you can run on the cheap stuff.

Cheapskate Nick

Comment

I've been running unleaded premium in the 750 and it seems that I only get a little acceleration knock with unleaded regular but I have also notice about 5 to 7 mpg difference in running premium.

I've run quite a few tanks of both and get consistently better mileage with Premium so I am running it all the time now.

Mike

Comment

Amoco/BP, Shell, or Mobile 93 Octane only.

Comment

Both mine run best on 93 or better, Shell, Bp, Chevron.

Comment

All Ive been running in mine is Amoco/BP 93...

Comment

It amazes me how many GS people enjoy wasting their money. If your bike is running the way it's supposed to, neither octane nor brand should make any difference in performance or mileage.

It's your money; waste it away! I'll save mine.

Nick

Comment

Use the cheap stuff. I use it and my bike runs fine. If it was designed for 85 octane 87 is more than enough, and everything higher is just a waste of your hard earned money. Also, I would think that different brands of gas are the same due to EPA standards and whatnot.

Comment

It amazes me how many GS people enjoy wasting their money. If your bike is running the way it's supposed to, neither octane nor brand should make any difference in performance or mileage.

It's your money; waste it away! I'll save mine.

Nick
                      Once again Mr. Diaz,
                      If yours runs great on regular gas then for Gods sake put it in and I wish you the best!!!

Mine runs best on 93!! That statement should make you think that I have tried the other octanes and that this octane works the best in mine, meaning- that myself and others have tried other levels and that these work best for us!!!!!

Think you should open a new website called:
                      "Nicks opinion only(!!Everyone else here is a total Idiotic DUMBASS!! ) so come in and learn."

Is it time for you to go on vacation again??? :P :

Comment

I always run premium. As for waisting money - I waiste plenty anyway. The extra 60 cents at each fillup is fly-sh!t to me.

Comment

Michael, go fly a kite.

No, contrary to your wishes, I don't plan on another vacation. I'm here to stay and bug the heck out of you. Happy now?

Waste your money. Fine with me. There's no logical reason why a stock GS1100G, with the same engine as my GK, should run better on 93 than on regular 87. Think about it logically, Michael. I'm not saying your a dumbass at all, and stop taking things personally, darn it!

I still insist that, if the GS is stock and tuned properly, and adequately maintained, it will run on regular, regardless of brand. An increase in octane or a switch in brand should not make a bit of difference.

This is a far cry than calling you or anyone a dumbass, Michael. Chill out!
                          Go for a ride on either GS, or both if you can manage it. Just ride safe.

Nick

Comment

I just dump half a bottle of Jim Beam in her every other fill up and she gets sloshy now and then but always kicks in *L*

Comment

Nick, all engines will have an increase in the octane requirment in the first 20,000 miles. this is most noted in cars, but motorcycles have engines too.

i dont waste my money using good gas. i avoid problems by using good gas. i dont have to worry about knocking or pinging, i dont have to worry about poor quality. Mobil-Exxon, Shell, BP/Amoco, Chevron, are the ONLY gasoline sellers who refine their OWN fuel. everyone else buys theirs from someone else.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X