Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick,
    8)

Just ribbing ya Sir. Mine does do better on 93. Of course I cannot afford to fix whatever makes it that way.

If it would stop raining I would like to ride!!

Got an answer to my little signature below :roll: ?

Comment

Nick says:

"......Michael. I'm not saying your a dumbass at all...........
      Michael....... I'll say it though.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
        Nick,
        8)

Just ribbing ya Sir. Mine does do better on 93. Of course I cannot afford to fix whatever makes it that way.

If it would stop raining I would like to ride!!

Got an answer to my little signature below :roll: ?
        Michael, you might try looking (searching) for some prior posts about how to alleviate carbon build-up in the engine.

Higher octanes tend to retard the burn moment, as mentioned earlier, and this needs to be done in higher compression engines. The unmodified 1100 engine is not high compression, so , unless you have altered the head, and thus raised the compression ratio, or you have excessive carbon built up, there should be no reason for needing a higher octane fuel.

Here, it varies between $0.09 and $0.12 difference per litre between 87/93 octane.

That would translate to about $0.40/US gallon.

If you switch to 87, it won't take long to save enough for other work on the bike
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ron Martin, Ok Thanks.

Frosty;,,,
          You Nut!! :P Wait till the hammer comes down on your head. ya know, the Black and decker one

Comment

Adam has confused me two times. If Shell/BP, Amoco, Exxon, Chevron are the only companies that refine their own fuel, the off brands must get theirs from these refineries, thus should be the same thing. Why would a engine with over 20,000 mi. need higher octane than an under 20,000 mi. engine? The older engine should loose some compression thus need lower octane. I may have read his post wrong, but I thought he said the newer engine needed lower octane. I sure hope I don't get enough carbon build-up to raise the compression enough to need more octane. The only bike I ever needed to use high octane fuel in was a GS 1100 E, after installing 1148 cc 12:1 compression pistons. I frequently run a tank or two of 93 octane thru all my bikes, but can not tell any difference.

Comment

Sorry Adam, I read your post wrong, I think you are correct, the older the engine, the lower the compression, thus lower octane

Comment

I agree with Nick! I have a `79 GS1000E and It runs fine on 87 octane.Brand makes no difference. Stop wasting your money and fix your raggedy ass bikes!

Comment

Why would a engine with over 20,000 mi. need higher octane than an under 20,000 mi. engine? The older engine should loose some compression thus need lower octane
                  wrong. engines do not lose compression ever, unless its by rings or gaskets failing. they require higher octane levels though, because of dirt, wear, and buildups on the valve train and piston. i dont know if i can find any info on this, but i've had a tour of the testing and engineering facilities at BP/Amoco headquarters located in Illinois here. They also did some presentations to us engineers about fuel technlolgies and needs. it is shown that engines require 1-3 points higher octane after 20,000 miles. buildup of gunk is the main reason.

as for gas refinieries...there are generic refineries, who buy crude oil from wherever, and process it, then sell it to gas stations. that's why it is cheaper then Amoco/BP, Shell of Mobil-Exxon.

i hope i explained things well enough,

~Adam

Comment

what gas

have tried running diferent octanes in my GS1000 but so the best of both worlds..price and octane I use the power plus mid grade from Chevron

Comment

my 1000g used to run on 87 just fine but after the 1mm over bore it will only run well on 93 minimum, it detonates severely on regular now.

A item of note, altitude temperature and area will determine what works best, what works in the thin air of Colorado may not work down by the coast, you have to take into account altitude, say in the mountains the atmospheric pressure is 10psi, you compress that 9 to 1 and you get 90psi in the combustion chamber before combustion, so a lower octane will work. close to sea level the atmospheric pressure is over 14psi, so say 14psi compressed 9 to 1 will produce 126psi requiring higher octane.

plus, gas is formulated for different areas, the larger city areas are forced to use reformulated gas and despite having the same octane ratings it is defiantly not conductive to good power production.

Comment

Thanks Adam, for the explination. I'm not nearly as confused as I was before. I see exactly what you are saying "but" I thought in older higher mileage engines, valve jobs, ring replacement, and sometimes bore jobs were normal, because of normal ware. I see that in a perfect world none of these things would happen, but it just seems that in the real world these parts do ware, and it seems would have to lose some compression. Thanks for opening my eyes about the carbon build-up on top of the piston and in the combustion chamber, as small as the combustion chamber is I can see a few .00 of carbon could take up a larger % of the chamber than I had previously realized. If the carbon builds enough to cause the engine to need higher octane fuel, if the engine will be making more horsepower, higher compression with the same displacement should make more. I wasn't aware of generic refineries, I thought refineries were like battery & anti freeze mfg., very few huge companies that produce and sell to everyone else, Thanks to all, I really appreciate all the ifmo. that comes from this site

Comment

I have the origanl owners manual for my 1982 gs 1100gk and it says to use at least 85-95 octane. IT says if engine is pinging substitute another brand as there are differences between brands. I use 93 to make mine stop pinging.my bike has 56000 miles on it any thing lower it pings. gas is real poor in ILL. And I consider my GS is fine working order.

Comment

My GS1150 runs like poop on Regular, in pings and splutters ...Premium gas seems to cure all of the problems.
                            it still pops on engine breaking...isn t that due to air getting in through the rubber inlets between the carbs and the engine?

the plugs are the perfect tone of coffee brown

though I do have a slight problem with the bike running fluffy between 5000 and 6500 revs Any Ideas?

.....But Im sure that the carbs need balancing im fairly new to this machine, and dont know of the history, I bought it from a motorcycle brakers who was originly gonna sell it off for parts

Comment

DJones,
                              Good for you. :twisted: My bike is not raggedy!! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                                ...it still pops on engine breaking...isn t that due to air getting in through the rubber inlets between the carbs and the engine?

the plugs are the perfect tone of coffee brown
                                You can get that popping from an exhaust gasket that is not completely sealed.

Hap

Comment

Working...
                                X