Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very trivial battery question

Hello,

I feel a bit ashamed asking this, but I lost my manual.
    I have a 1979 GS750E and it is time to charge the battery. Should I charge it with a 6 or 12 volt charger?

Thank you for your time.

12 volt Buddy! 1-2 amp. I have a 1.5 amp Battery Tender for 12 volts.

Not a dumb question, just a question.

Comment

12 volts nominal, and take Michael's advice....use a low amperage charger. He missed telling you to let it charge at least overnight, and, before charging, with anything, check the fluid levels in yur battery.

If any cell is low, top it up with distilled water, but do not fill to the top of the battery...you need a bit of space above the fluid for expansion and gas to escape.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Great points Ron.

Comment

Remove the filler caps and place a paper towel over them while the battery is charging.

Comment

Remove the filler caps and place a paper towel over them while the battery is charging.
            You know, I've heard that a few times but never understood the reasoning behind it. As long as you're not trying to do a 20 minute quick-charge with a 2 gazillion amp charger, why should you take the filler caps off?

You don't do it when you're riding, and the battery is being charged then too (Assuming you don't still have the original stator and R/R ). I don't see how charging with a low-amperage charger would be any different. There may very well be a reason - I'm not saying anyone's wrong. It's just that I'd like to know what it is.
            Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
            "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E
            1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
              You know, I've heard that a few times but never understood the reasoning behind it. As long as you're not trying to do a 20 minute quick-charge with a 2 gazillion amp charger, why should you take the filler caps off?

You don't do it when you're riding, and the battery is being charged then too (Assuming you don't still have the original stator and R/R ). I don't see how charging with a low-amperage charger would be any different. There may very well be a reason - I'm not saying anyone's wrong. It's just that I'd like to what it is.
              A very good observation, Ron, and a correct one, batteries with removable caps are also vented (note tube running down side of battery) so it is not necessary to remove the caps while charging at a low rate, the bike charging system charges at well over 5 amps (in the 10 amp range)
              the practice of removing the caps comes from the old days of serviceable automotive batteries, they often had very small vents and charging them at high rates could cause pressure to build up and they could explode or pop the caps off.
              a battery produces hydrogen gas as it is charged, this is the bubbles you see rising to the top, hydrogen is very flammable, be careful when charging your battery, make sure the charger is off when connecting or disconnecting to prevent sparks.

Comment

Local shop told me that if it was a 1 or 2 amp charger that you could charge it 24hrs and not hurt the battery at all. He said no way to overcharge it at that low rate.

Comment

Working...
                X