very high idle without choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very high idle without choke

i just put together a gs550. everything has gone good except for when i start it, it idles a bit high with the choke on. when i take the choke off the idle drops to normal for 1-2 seconds and then idles off the charts! about 3000 4000 rpms probably and nevers idles down until i put the choke back on. i sprayed the carbs and air box with wd 40. i see no apparent leaks. could this be casued by a bad ground. i also would like to know if the two grounds that come out by the starter solenoid connect together and go on the ground on the starter solenoid with the solenoid ground
    Neil

I know it sounds stupid but have you turned back the idle adjustment, the knob between the two middle carbs.

Comment

i sure have

i sure have

Comment

Don't know about the starter wiring, but my high idle was due to a lean condition. Took the fuel screws out 1 and 1/4 turns and idle went from 3k to 1.5K

Comment

what year is the bike?

Comment

the bike is a 78

Comment

okay...i have experience with two 550's just like yours.

did you mess with the carbs at all? particuallarly the air screw on the side of the carb body? you have fuel pilot screws on the bottom, and air screws on the side. they should be set to 1-2 turns OUT (carefuly seating them...tighten till barely tight) as a baseline.

if you've not messed with them, i suspect you have intake or airbox leak somewhere. take some WD40 and carefully spray around the boots that connect the carbs to the engine. listen for idle change.

if that doesn't work, do the same thing around the airbox to carb connection.

generally you're getting too much air if the idle is up really high...this can be bad if the engine is running to lean.

~Adam

Comment

carbs

dont forget to check for leaks around your exshaust ports that can cause a problem too might have to tighten the bolts also if its idling really high like that and while testing it make sure you put a fan on the engine or youll over heat it i would run it no more then 10 min at a time or your looking at some damage not major but will lead to it

Comment

Working...
                X