Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about pre-muffler for exhaust.

Hey all,

I just picked up a nice looking pair of Jardine flared slip-ons for my 83 850 GL. I currently have the orginal 4-to-2 exhaust with a pre-muffler. If I am thinking correctly, the Jardines should slip directly onto the headers and eliminate the pre-muffler. Will eliminating the pre-muffler cause any problems? Should I modify the exhaust to have a cross-over tube between the number 2 and 3 pipes?

Thanks,

Brandon

Anybody????

Comment

Are you refering to the squarish thing under the engine? If so thats not a muffler at all. It is the "crossover pipe". Although its more like a crossover prairie cause that things huge! No you shouldn't have any problems eliminating this system. Jardine knows what they're doing and if they want their muffs attached to the head pipes then theres probably a good reason for it.

Comment

Yep, that's the part I am referring to. In all the parts diagrams and manuals, it is referred to as the "pre-muffler". I know that a crossover helps "balance" an engine. This happened to be an older set of NOS slip-ons. If you go to the Dennis Kirk web site, the pictures for new slip-ons for an 850 show something between the #2 and #3 pipes.

Comment

Working...
        X