hot coil mount,with the ignition on but engine not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hot coil mount,with the ignition on but engine not running

hey guys me again. Electricity is not my best subject, obviously. Anyway I noticed my coil mount gets hot to the touch when the key is on and engine off. will cleaning this mount so it grounds better cure this or do I need to go further into the electrical/ignition system?

Thanks again fellas.
    Krash

I really missed this sight the week it was away!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/b]

with key on engine off you will have 12v at the coil so its normal for the coil to be a little hot to the touch

Comment

the bolt that mounts to the frame bracket gets quite hot on 1 coil but the other is not. going out to run the ignition tests now. Have been having much trouble with loss of power and acceleration. thought it was fuel prob but de-rustified the tank. still prob.completely cleaned the carbs, still prob. now on to the ignition. one wire bit me hard at the top of the boot when I went to disconnect it, and the bike did not like to run wet at all, before so I was checking out the ignition. thats where I am at now. does any1 know how to test the resistance of the coil? Is 3.0 ohms the figure I should get when I test across the two electical connector tabs on the coils(Primary connections??)?Thanks a lot.

Pete

Comment

well the coils primary resistance came up to almost 4.5 ohms on both coils, and then also on the coils from my spare engine. the voltage reading from the wires that connect to the coil(not the hi tension leads) ?primary? came up to between 9 and 10 volts. battery voltage is good, so I thought the guage was right but the readings I am getting seem wrong. Any1 have any insight? I hate old electrical systems!!!!! Thanks guys.
        (86 GS550ES, electronic ignition).

Pete

Comment

9-10 volts is right for a coil.....it only sees 12 volts during cranking to help fire that super rich mixture. One other thing I experienced was my bike not starting with the headlight on. light off it started fine....Boiled down to a weak battery that couldn't support both lights and coils.....

Comment

Working...
          X