GS1000E Rough Idling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000E Rough Idling

My GS1000E sat for many years, seems to be running better with time... however; idling rough. Any nice slow, methodical approaches to getting this thing running optimally would be greatly appreciated. Got carb rebuild kits, but, frankly, I'm scared.... any advice? I'm in Worcester, MA if there are any hobbyist "wrenches" out there!
    Thanks!
    Barry

Depending onthe year of your bike. Check the carb clean up series in the forum if ti is a 78-79 it is even easier. Or maybe try a little carb cleaner additive in the gas

Comment

Year might help

I forgot to include the fact that this is a 1979! Thanks for your reply, I have been using carb cleaner in the gas, helped with the pickup, but still idles rough. 8O

Comment

Re: GS1000E Rough Idling

The first thing I would do is check the point gaps and then use a continuity light to check the static timing. If the timing is a tad advanced, it will idle roughly. Next, I would adjust the air screws on each carb for the highest idle and then back them off about 1/8th turn. Then hook up some vacuum mercury stix and set/synch the carbs. That should do it. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by barrygb
        My GS1000E sat for many years, seems to be running better with time... however; idling rough. Any nice slow, methodical approaches to getting this thing running optimally would be greatly appreciated. Got carb rebuild kits, but, frankly, I'm scared.... any advice? I'm in Worcester, MA if there are any hobbyist "wrenches" out there!
        Thanks!
        Barry
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks, Earl!

Will give that a shot, appreciate the advice!! :P

Barry

Comment

Re: Thanks, Earl!

After adjusting, let us know how things turn out. If it does come to rebuilding the carbs, just give a yell. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by barrygb
            Will give that a shot, appreciate the advice!! :P

Barry
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Oh, there will be a yell alright!!!

Thanks for all the tips, looks like I'll have to invest in some tools, vacuum gauge, etc. It'll probably be a while before I get to it, I got ridin' to do with the good weather... always something to do, you know. I got a buddy who has a couple of Harleys, and he's the one that got this thing started for me...... I'm kinda counting on his help with the idling as well. I have new cables on order also. I'm developing quite a forearm from the clutch lever now!

Thanks!!!!
              Barry

Comment

PS --- will a set of carbs from a GS850 fit the 1000E

That's what the ad says, anyhow..... I'm skeptical....
                Have rebuild kits here, would like to rebuild a set NOT on the bike.... just in case!

Barry

Comment

Working...
                X