The casting marks are horrendus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The casting marks are horrendus!

I took my bike to the maxi wash to spray some old grime off the engine + frame. I used the engine degreaser on it. It ended up peeling some of the clear coat off of my aluminum. The clear coat was beat anyway so I decided to strip and polish the whole lot of parts. Man I thought this stuff was factory polished before they clear coated it. I've been using 400 to sand off the marks and clear coat. I don't want to go any lower than 400, but its taking for ever. The casting marks left in some of these parts are nasty. . So far the ignition cover has been the worst. I still have the clutch cover to go. I'm thinking the rear hub looks ok as it is. The bike is looking much nicer though. The left side is done, and looks really sharp.

If any one else is thinking of doing this job get ready for some blisters. + be ready to get sweaty and dirty.

Try JayB's idea:

Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Sounds like more work.

Sounds like more work. My clear coat comes off with just steel wool and nail polish remover. It's the sanding of the metal thats taking so long. Once I get the surface ready polishing it doen't take long.

Comment

Wet n Dry, lots of water.. 400 then 1000,1500 and finish with with 2000 grit and whatever your favourite metal polish is.
        Its a lot of work, but it is worth it
        John.

Comment

I know the feeling, I put over 50 hours into polishing the GSX-R wheels I've got on my bike. The spokes, hub, and center section of the rims were all sandcast finish. They could still use a little work, but polishing over time will get rid of the few imperfections I have left.

Comment

Working...
          X