Engine wont crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine wont crank

i recently purchased a 1980 gs850 with 28,000 miles on it, the engine is locked up is it possible to break it free it has sat or a couple years or more what do you suggest i am on a tight budget

Pull the plugs and dump some Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder (it's said that Coca Cola eats rust, but the sugar doesn't help). Let that sit overnight. Next day add some motor oil to the cylinders. Remove the timing cover. Take a 19mm socket on a breaker bar (or a ratchet, but you'll have to go back and forth) and slowly and lightly try to turn the nut on the end of the crankshaft back and forth.
    If you can get it loose, keep turning the crank by hand until you can go all the way around, clockwise. Do it a few times.
    Leave the plugs out and use the starter to get alot of the oils out of the cylinders. Replace the plugs and see what happens. If it runs, change the oil.... twice.
    If it's locked up due to rust, you have bigger problems than stuck cylinders. Doubt it will run very long.
    You probably have clogged carbs too.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
      ...it's said that Coca Cola eats rust, but the sugar doesn't help...
      Coca Cola doesn't have any of the magical or dangerous properties that urban legends claim ...it won't eat a common nail, even after two weeks (my daughter's science fair project was "cokelore"). In fact, my scientific scale could not detect any measurable change in weight where .03 gram would have been easily detected (various controls were used, too). Further, dental health professionals say that putting a tooth into a bath of Coke wouldn't be a fair test anyway, as those conditions don't exist in your mouth or belly. Saliva washes the sugary cola off the teeth very efficiently. Although my daughter didn't have easy access to teeth other than her (my) keepsake baby teeth, the literature suggests that teeth don't disappear from a Coke bath except via the tooth fairy.

Cops don't use coke to wash blood off the road. Coca Cola syrup does not require dangerous goods placards on tanker trucks ("Coke" is listed in the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and Regulations, but refers to the residue of coal after destructive distillation).

That said, you won't find me pouring ANY beverage into my engine, particularly one that is heavy with sugar!

Comment

I had a 750/4 motor locked up tighter than a monkeys drum....I took the plugs out and used a large syringe to put some transmission fluid down the bores and left it over night and it worked, becareful turning the engine over by the end of the crank on susukis they have a small ping on the ignition side that can be easily sheared off....and then your done up like a kipper

Comment

I tried all that (except the Coke) including penetrating oil on my 750E but I wound up pulling the head and cylinders. I had to use a steeringwheel type puller on the cylinder studs with a block of wood between the piston and the center screw on the puller. Once I got it out I found that a hone on the cylinder wall, clean pistons, and new rings made every thing OK. Just lucked out, so to speak. The bike only cost me $100, but the parts have cost over $900 so far.

Harrison

Comment

My guess is the lore about coke's corrosive properties came from their listing of "phosphoric acid" on the list of ingredients. It's true that phosphoric acid is used to remove rust from metal (I used it on my gas tank and it worked very well) it is probably present in such small amounts that its effects are negligible. Add to that the fact that it's acidity is probably offset by caffeine, an alkaloid.

In the end, our mouths are the best gauge of coke's acidity - if it was acidic enough to dissolve the rust then it would taste sour to us - like vinegar or one of those sour candies.

Jeff

Comment

I would recomend penetrating oil for at least 24 hr, followed by transmission fluid for 24 hr. leave the spark plugs out, put the bike in 5th gear and with the clutch enguaged sit on the bike & rock it back and forth. It may take a while, If gentle bumping back & forth doesn't work, bump it a little harder. Are you sure the bike was OK when it was parked a couple of years ago. I never thought a GS engine would stick in that short of time

Comment

thanks for all of the help guys, in 5thgear i can rock the bike back and forth and the wheel turns without the clutch engaged. i only gave $50 for the bike and ive used the windshield, adjustable backrest/luggage rack ad a very nice bates bag that sat on the rack, a local shop will give me $100 so im by no mean out any money, i just wish could get it to turn because its a beautiful bike. why is the wheel turning in gear but still wont turn over? OH WELL!! thanks for everything i'll give it one more shot.
                -Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
                  Originally posted by Jeckler
                  ...it's said that Coca Cola eats rust, but the sugar doesn't help...
                  Coca Cola doesn't have any of the magical or dangerous properties that urban legends claim ...
                  Coca Cola (or any carbonated drink) will, however, remove corrosion on battery terminals. That said, I use baking soda for this task as it is less messy.

Comment

Working...
                  X