Carb. problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb. problems

Help please. I own an LS Savage 650. Can't find a forum for LS owners. Am desperate for some carb. advice. Could someone send me in the right direction or maybe someone is familiar with the Mikuni BS40 carb. thanks

Re: Carb. problems

I dont know of an LS group, but carb theory is carb theory. If you'll explain your problem, there may be someone here that has had that same problem and can help you out.

Earl

Originally posted by woodrats
    Help please. I own an LS Savage 650. Can't find a forum for LS owners. Am desperate for some carb. advice. Could someone send me in the right direction or maybe someone is familiar with the Mikuni BS40 carb. thanks
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

carb problem

I have a 2000 Savage 650 that I bought used. The bike had been sitting up for at least 11/2 before I got it. We didn't think to check the gas tank before I started riding it so of course it messed up the carb. bad. In the meantime my husband added straight pipes instead of the stock muffler to it. We had the carb. cleaned and we cleaned the gas tank the best we could and the bike did good for a little while until I had to use my reserve tank. Needless to say all the rust was there. This time we did the coating job and have cleaned every possible area of the carb. It is spotless. All the jets and every hole is clean and open. My problem is that it still won't idle. As long as you are giving it throttle it does ok but as soon as you level out it has a miss. It is terrible at low speed and idle. Don't know what else to do. This carb. is a Mikuni BS40. My bike is 1cylinder-4 stroke.

Comment

Did you dip the carb in a cleaning solution? If you did, and you did not drill out the air screw cover then you probably ate up the o-ring inside there..... The air screw will affect your idle/low speed operation.

This is good reading on the subject, http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html

As is this, http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Your Savage is real similar to our GS's. It just has one big cylinder where ours have four little ones.

Welcome to the forum, we don't discriminate here....... even if you have a Hardley Ableson :twisted: J/K......... Seriously, this is the best motorcycle forum on the net regardless of what bike you have.....

Comment

I agree with everything Tim and the others said and I just want to add one more thing: On my GS450 the cross-over pipe (connecting the two main exhaust pipes) came off. This had almost no affect at high throttle settings, but DID have a very noticeable effect at low throttle and idle. I'm pretty sure the back-pressure of the exhaust system is an importatnt part of the equation (often ignored). Just as the airbox and air filter (and any air leaks at any of the boots connecting to the carb) are often ignored. I spent weeks fiddling with the carbs just to finally realize that it was my numerous air leaks and huge exhaust leaks that were the real problem.

Comment

savage carb

Thanks guys for all the input. My carb has no air screw, only an air jet. This carb has no adjustments. It is showing excess fuel to the plug. Plug was bad smutty when we replaced it yesterday. The exhaust thing might be a factor though.

Comment

If its a cv carb then it has to have an air screw. However it will be under an aluminum cap to prevent tampering and will not be visible. Here's wheat it looks like after removing the cap.

Comment

Heres a blurry pic of the cover that keeps you from seeing it.

Comment

savage carb

thanks for the pics. My carb is a BS40. Very hard to find info on this one.

Comment

Working...
                  X