Rebuilt Carbs idle very fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt Carbs idle very fast

I Have just got done installing new k&l carb kits on my 82 GS850L. My problem is after I got everything put back together and finally started, It runs at around 6000 rpm and won`t idle down. The choke is off, the idle adjuster is back way off, I took off the air box and look inside and the butterflies are close. My throttle cable is lose. I took the carbs back off to see if I did something bad, but couldn`t find anything. I put it all back together, and the same thing happens. Can someone please please help me?? I am at my witts end.
    Thanks
    Kip

you might have an intake boot or o-ring leak. spray some WD40 around the rubber boot area with the engine running. spray each boot, listen for change in engine speed.

Comment

8O I tried spraying around the boots, and couldn`t hear a change. Still runs about 6000. I just don`t understand where the fuel and air can be coming from if the butterflies are closed.
      Thanks
      Kip

Comment

I had a similar problem with mine and found that they linkage that ties the carbs together was not right. Look to see that the face that the idle screw pushes on is flat against the stop when you have the idle adjustment screw all the way out.
        Good luck.

Terry

Comment

yeah, turn that screw on the throttle stop (near the throttle cables if you're looking at the bike from its right side) to the left a bunch of times. see if the idle comes down. like...at least 3-5 turns to the left.

if that doesn't work, what happens when you give the bike some throttle when its idling at 6000RPM?

Comment

Thanks guys, unfortunately I already have backed off the idle adjuster. Any other Ideas I look forward to any suggestions. When I crack the throttle it want to die. And the airbox is on.
            Thanks
            Kip

Comment

Originally posted by Cudaman
              Thanks guys, unfortunately I already have backed off the idle adjuster. Any other Ideas I look forward to any suggestions. When I crack the throttle it want to die. And the airbox is on.
              Thanks
              Kip
              I know that you backed off the screw, but are you sure that it is closing all the way? Is the bracket with the idle screw in it butting up against the stop?

Terry

Comment

is your choke all the way off? or stuck?

usually the engine will try to die if you give it gas when choked, that's why i asked that question.

Comment

Hi guys, I check the bracket and its out of the way. I can look in and see the butterflies are completely closed if I take off the air box. I did make sure the choke was closing. All looks good. I tried in in different positions and didn`t really make a difference. I am grateful for your help. I also tried closing the a/f screws and then opening them out about 4 turns, and that really don`t do much either.
                  Thanks
                  KIp

Comment

Working...
                  X