Couple questions after first good ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple questions after first good ride.

Took the 750 out last night for more than just a ride aroung the block. It's running really lean, either air leak or just wrong fuel screw setting. Steering head was loose, that was fun on corners :?

I think I can nail the above problems down pretty quick, but the tach is making a whirring noise inside that gets really annoying. If I give it a whack it will quit for a bit, but then returns. Anyone seen/heard this before?

The other thing I hadn't noticed until I last night, one of the front rotors is warped. The lever has a heartbeat when you get on it pretty good. Question here is, can these be turned, or should I ebay up a few sets until I get a good pair?

Thanks in advance! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I just hope it's not a train.

Sounds like some good progress!! Your tach problem is typical - just need to try and lube the head unit (take it off and turn it upside down on the bench and let something like WD-40 soak for a while) - doesn't last all that long - I finally had to buy a nos unit off of Ebay. Rotors are also "iffy" - I have not found a single shop that will turn motorcycle rotors - so I (again) bought some good used ones off of Ebay.

That light your seeing - nope, not a train - it's that 1150 calling your name!! 8)

Comment

Yup, progress has been made but it's slow going (too many projects at once)

I have the two bikes facing each other in the garage, I can feel the 1150 staring at me, as if to ask, "hey what about me, how come she gets all the attention"

Thanks again man, back to ebay I go!

PS, how far are you with the ripper? Read about it in the meeting place.

Comment

I used a little bit of fork oil only beause it was handy, use light oil works better fill it up and let it set, do it two or three times should fix your problem. I would also take the forks apart and lube the steering brgs. It is actually very easy to get to the brgs

Comment

Fork Oil eh? Just so happens I have access to some. I'll give that a try as well. Quite sure I'll have to do it more than once.

The steering head nut was so loose I could move it with my finger nail. I got it tight again, but I'll repack the bearings if it continues to cause me grief.

Comment

I just bought a pair of discs on ebay for 19.99 + shipping. Cured my problems. BTW, The ones I got were from a 650. I think all the big GS's share the same discs. The single disc system is slightly larger than the dual disc setup, so make sure your getting dual discs.

-Good luck

Comment

the discs are all the same dia, the single disc is thicker than the dual disc

Comment

please dont ebay warped disc's to other GS'ers...

Comment

please dont ebay warped disc's to other GS'ers...
                  What discs? Oh, you mean my new frisbees

Comment

Working...
                  X