No announcement yet.

Nice ride gone very bad . . . help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudco, they have a website, has a product called Rustol to treat rust that can be reused over and over again and doesn't leave a thick skin like Creem. By the way, $500 is pretty steep to do what the mechanic did the last time.

Comment

Billy,

Thanks for the info. I didn't think the price was too bad. When I called the local dealer he want $450 just to overhaul the carbs. The guy I went to did the carbs, complete tune-up, new front brake caliper, flushed gas tank, new battery, etc. He wants $54 for the last bit of work he did which kind of annoys me since he found rust particles in the carbs and he is the one that cleaned out the tank. As far as working on the bike myself or to have my husband do it -- unfortunately that won't happen. My husband goes to college at night, coaches all my sons sports and works 50 or so hours a week so that leaves 0 time for bike repairs. I really didn't mind spending the money since that is the only money I have ever put into the bike after shelling out $1100 for it 10 years ago. I just hope the problem has been solved.

Thanks again.

Char

Comment

I've had excellent experiences with POR-15. For $30 you get a kit that contains degreasing solution, rust remover (phosphoric acid with zinc salts) and POR-15. There's really nothing that's technically challenging about it; just clean, dry and coat. For few hours work you save $170 and know the job was done right.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Thanks. I just might try it. It is good to hear from people that have used a product before. I really don't feel like dumping $200 for coating the tank when there are products out there that people have had success with. My husband is a little unsure of using these types of kits so I wouldn't mind hearing from more of you that have used them with success.

I picked the bike up today and we did about 50 miles or so. Didn't have too much time but it was a nice quick ride. Everything went well. The repair guy showed my the filter he put on and told me to check it every once in a while and if I see it getting dirty and cloudy to change it. He mentioned again about coating the tank after the season is over and told us where to bring it but I really would like to just use the POR-15. Any more opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Char

Comment

Working...
          X