Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Position for checking oil

Hey,

On my bike ('80 GS550L), there's a spot on the side of the engine where you can look through a little glass circle to check the level of the oil. However, I have noticed that the level shown there is different based on whether the bike is on the side stand or center stand (for obvious reasons). Which stand should the bike be on when checking the oil for a correct reading? Thanks.

--Tyler

It is very important that you place the bike on the centre stand. And you even have to make sure that the ground is flat. Even a slight lean can give a false reading.
    Good luck

Comment

My 1100 owner's manual and Clymer manual say centerstand. Others check with the bike balanced upright on two wheels. I don't see a lot of difference either way.

Don't check the oil while on the sidestand.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Munro
        My 1100 owner's manual and Clymer manual say centerstand. Others check with the bike balanced upright on two wheels. I don't see a lot of difference either way.

there is a big differance! balanced upright on two wheels will give a false indication, if the oil level shows full balanced upright it is actually very low, on the center stand the rear wheel is raised up off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
          Originally posted by Al Munro

there is a big differance! balanced upright on two wheels will give a false indication, if the oil level shows full balanced upright it is actually very low, on the center stand the rear wheel is raised up off the ground.
          I've tried it both ways on the same floor moments apart, and haven't noticed a significant difference. Despite that, I check it on the centerstand as recommended, and that would be my best advice.

Comment

My GS 850 reads correct with both wheels on the ground and the bike upright. verified at the time of oil and filter change.

Comment

On trips I used to check by the balance method purely because you don't know how flat the ground is on the centrestand. A little lean can make a big difference. On known ground I used the centrestand.

I advantage of the centrestand is that the bike will not fall on you in the driveway!

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
                I advantage of the centrestand is that the bike will not fall on you in the driveway!
                Apparently the driveways in Florida are not very flat.

Center stand on the level or holding the bike level on both wheels give different readings, but pretty damn close. At least on my GS1100E.
                "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

a related question....

my 650 says centerstand also....

i changed the oil & filter yesterday and filled it up to halfway up the window.. (at this point the bike had been sat cooling down for probably 90 mins) then i went for a short ride and got it warmed up again and checked the oil level again....this time i couldn't see a oil line in the window at all (it sold be said that the initla fill just under 3 qts (the manual says 3.2 for a change incl filter)) so i added a little more so that i got a line again and then ran the bike for the 30 seconds or so..shut it off and this time the level had dropped but was still in the window..just....i checked it this morning cold and the line was a little higher in the window but stull under half.....

so should i keep adding and running until i get a good level whilst warm and after just being run....or am i close enough....

i know with the car the oil guy fills...i start it up and shut it off..then he checks again...didn't know if this was the same concept..

thanks for the info

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PhilEkins
                    i know with the car the oil guy fills...i start it up and shut it off..then he checks again...didn't know if this was the same concept.
                    Always fill to halfway or more up the window, then run for a minute or so to ensure that the filter cavity, etc. have drunk their fill. Then check it again. Then fill and check it again. I tend to finally fill it to just short of the "full' line when cold. I find that puts me at, or just above, the "full" line when warm. However, if it is in the window either hot or cold, you won't blow it up. Don't get too exacting!

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                      X