Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to swap Clutch and Throttle Cables on 82 GS650G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to swap Clutch and Throttle Cables on 82 GS650G?

I should have my new cables this weekend. Are there any "gotchas" to look out for? My Clymer's manual says to re-move the gas tank. Is that really necessary? If so, is there a non-messy way to do it?

thanks,

Terry

Terry - Replacing the cables is not that difficult, and yes, you will have to "partially" remove your fuel tank - the cables normally run through metal ties that are wrapped around the frame directly under the tank. You may be able to loosen and then raise the tank enough to get to them but it will make for cramped working conditions. I recommend taking the tank off completely - this will give you an opportunity to check all of the wiring connections, coils etc. that you normally can't see with tank on the bike. Good Luck ... 8)

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Mark,

This is going to be a busy mechanical type weekend. I'm rounding up parts to re-work the brakes on my 91 Explorer(good excuse to buy the torque wrench instead of the GS650 ).

Hopefully I can get to it Saturday. I've missed it since it broke.

Terry

Comment

Just remember - the GS doesn't require the kind of "torque" your going to need for the brake job!! 8)

Comment

Terry, this job will be much easier with the tank off. The clutch cable is very straight forward, but I seem to remember the throttle cable being a bit more troublesome. There's very awkward access at the carb end so be patient. Or just get someone with a bit more co-ordination to do it, like I did.

Rich

Comment

Working...
          X